Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damaged kitchen cabinet door?

thisischandar
Growing in Experience

How to fix damaged kitchen cabinet door?

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help/advice here

Recently my kitchen cabinet door has lost its support with hinges. It looks like the panel that was holding the hinges screw is damaged badly.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed?

Kitchen door.jpg 

Regards,

Balachandar

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix damaged kitchen cabinet door?

Hello @thisischandar

Thank you for sharing your question about repairing the holes in your cabinet. This will require a two-part approach. First, I suggest using Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener, this will restore the timber fibre's original stiffness and prepare it for filling. Next, I recommend using Turbo 175ml Builders Bog Flexipack, this will fill the holes in the cabinet. Make sure to push the builder's bog as deep as possible into the hole and try to flatten it as best you can so that you won't have to sand so much of it off.

Once the builder's bog is dry you can sand it down to the level of the cabinet. You can then mark the new mounting holes for the hinge plate. Make sure to drill pilot holes for the mounting screws. You should now be able to re-mount the hinge and the door back onto the cabinet.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
thisischandar
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Do you recommend both the wood hardener and the builders bog to be used or I can use only the builders bog. Can I put the mounting holes on the same place after the building bog is settled reason being I don't have enough room to find a new place for the mounting holes as there is an undermount basin(pls refer the image i shared previously) and the space it very tight - Please advise.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Balachandar

Hi Balachandar (@thisischandar),

It's likely best to use the wood hardener and the Builder's Bog. The Builder's Bog isn't going to do anything to restore the damaged fibres of the timber; it's just used to fill the hole. If you fill the holes without the hardener, you'll still have a compromised section of timber.

You can drill the Builder's Bog, but as I mentioned, it will not be as strong as the original timber.

The other option is moving the hinge into solid timber and filling the previous holes. This would be a much better solution, as you're not working with compromised timber. If your door pulled out the screws from solid timber, it would most likely do the same on the timber you've repaired. You can use a Concealed Hinge Cutter to put the new hole in your cabinet door.

You've mentioned the area is very tight, but I can't see any obvious reasons why you couldn't lower the hinge as per the image below.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the message. Sorry If this is a silly question. As per your suggestion If I move the holes down on the top and let the other hole in the bottom remains in the same place, do you think the door will open and close as before?   Can the hinges still hold the door given that they are not equally balanced.

Again, sorry if this is really a  silly question.

Regards,

Balachandar

Hi @thisischandar,

Absolutely not a silly question! I am sure there are many other members out there wondering the same thing. @MitchellMc will be back online Friday so let me tag @EricL to get some of his advice, he will be on later this afternoon. 

Looking forward to seeing your cabinet door fixed up!

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @thisischandar 

Most certainly not a silly question, it's ok to ask about this particular type of repair. Moving the hinge a little bit lower is perfectly alright, suffice to say that the mounting point of the hinge is still close enough that the door will open correctly and not get unbalanced. My only other tip is to make sure to mark your drill points and to make sure that they are lined up along with the other hinge at the bottom.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects