Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets?

Gekman
Getting Established

How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets?

Hi Bunnings Community

I'm moving into a home with what I believe are laminate kitchen cabinets/cupboards (please see attached), and we were hoping to paint them a new colour (likely white) and redo the handles. Is it possible to repaint laminate cupboards, and if so what would be the best process/products? 

Many thanks in advance!

Gekman

Kitchen1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help re Painting Laminate Kitchen Cabinets?

Hi @Gekman

If it's a laminate covered kitchen, it can definitely be painted. Your kitchen looks like the perfect candidate for the Dulux Renovation Range. It looks like the doors are still in very good condition and just needs a bit of a makeover. Painting kitchen doors is the perfect way to give your kitchen a new look without spending a bundle. 

The key to the entire process is preparation. If the doors are prepared properly without skipping a step, the primer and main coat will adhere properly to the laminate surface. To have a superior finish means using good quality brushes and rollers. A good paint job can be ruined all because of a cheap brush. 

Don't be in a rush always allow the paint to totally dry off before putting on the next coat. Sometimes we need to add extra drying time especially when the weather is either too humid or too rainy. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: 10 kitchens transformed with paint

Here is a handy step by step guide: Rejuvenate your cabinet doors with Dulux paint.   

Here are some amazing kitchen revamps shared by our Workshop members.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your kitchen painting project

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric, 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gekman
Getting Established

Re: Help re Painting Laminate Kitchen Cabinets?

Eric, you're my white knight! Many thanks again for your help and guidance, it's so appreciated. Will absolutely post up a before and after once I'm done (next month).

Cheers, Gekman.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects