Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate kitchen in a week?

Bonydebbie
Just Starting Out

How to renovate kitchen in a week?

855E268E-5F94-4C37-8939-F685F980132B.jpeg

7F061428-E47B-42F3-BA50-9F48FA27BE3E.jpeg

 hello 

I’d like some help renovating a kitchen in an investment property. I don’t want to spend a lot on it & would like only to touch it up. I have one week to finish the work. 
the cabinets & bench tops are intact but could do with a paint.  Any advice where to start? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate kitchen in a week?

Hello @Bonydebbie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about renovating a kitchen in a week.

There are currently two painting systems you can use, the Dulux Renovation Range or White Knight Renew. Both offer the ability to paint over laminated surfaces. But it's not the paint that's the issue. It's the drying time that will add time to your renovation. The paint systems require at least 72 hours before you can use them for light duty. Full strength is achieved within 7 days. This is of course in ideal weather conditions. If the weather is too cold or humid it will take much longer for the paint to dry off.

One option is for you to take your chances and paint the doors and warn the tenants to treat the doors gently for the next 7 to 10 working days until the paint is fully cured. The other way is to take the doors with you to dry off in your garage until the paint dries off. You'll just need to inform your tenants that the doors will be returned within 10 working days. 

Here is a link to the Renovation Range Brochure: Renovation Range Application.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your kitchen repainted.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Bonydebbie,

Just wanted to add that you can get inspiration here - 10 kitchens transformed with paint

And let me tag very helpful member @redbournreno who might like to share her renovation experience with you and suggest the best way to tackle this project. 

We look forward to seeing your transformation. Please let us know if you have any questions about the information we're shared. We're here to help.

Welcome to the community,

Jason

redbournreno
Having an Impact

@Bonydebbie 

Hi and congratulations on such a cute investment! 

I understand the rush to renovate and getting it ready to rent out again quickly. Just be cautious about the trade off between time and effort for cost.  You could very inexpensively do a good job of painting the cabinetry and benchtop, even the tiles, but the preparation and workload will take you a lot of your own time.  If you have the time then go for it. The first thing is be sure your follow the preparation instructions to the letter for the laminate paint, especially cleaning and sanding. Scrub all the hinges and remove handles so it is all grease free before you start. Repair any drawer runners and fill chips if needed. The kickboards let that kitchen down a lot, so try to paint them to match the cabinetry. Mask off the floor tiles well.

If time is more limited then I would avoid painting the benchtop and instead get a replacement off the shelf from Bunnings. Check the thickness is correct to fit between your cabinets and the tiles. They have a great range in store, look for one that will work well with your cabinetry and wall colour.  Of course painting the walls in an investment property makes it fresh and bright and gives you the best bang for your buck! Get a handyman in for a day and they should be able to cut to size and install the benchtop, new handles in a day.  A plumber can swap out the sink tap for a stylish new mixer tap.

An extra clean of the tiles is probably all you need, unless you want to pretty it up with some tile paint. The fastest one to use is Rustoleum tile paint but the finish is a bit textured and not great for a kitchen.  Again follow the preparation instructions to the letter!  But some really cute styling like fresh lemons/limes and flowers with timber accents will always make a kitchen look great for you advertising photos.

Best of luck with getting a great tenant. Belinda

Many thanks for your experienced input, @redbournreno. I trust @Bonydebbie really appreciates the advice from such a knowledgeable contributor.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects