Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is VJ panelling suitable for use in kitchen?

Norman1
Getting Established

Is VJ panelling suitable for use in kitchen?

900 x 1200mm 9mm Lining Panel White MDF Primed VJ 100mm Is this material ok for kitchen walls te heat & water?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is VJ panelling suitable for use in kitchen?

Thanks for your question @Norman1

Were you planning on using it as a splashback (near a sink and/or cooktop) or are you just talking about the walls in your kitchen?

Let me tag experienced renovator @ProjectPete for his thoughts.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Monday.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Norman1
Getting Established

Just walls

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Norman1

It sounds like a major remodeling project. Here is the link to the Easycraft FAQ - Can I install Easycraft paneling behind a stove cooktop? Easycraft has stated on their website.

• We recommend you install our wall panels at least 100mm away from any electric heat source and 200mm away from any gas heat source. Always consult your Local Building Code Regulations which can override these recommendations.

However, continued exposure to oil sprays, steam, and heat will eventually stain the panel. Even if you put paint on the panel, the painted surface will become tarnished. I suggest using either a Splashback Stainless Steel 650x597x1mm Vertical Grain or Glass Splashback. Both materials are safe to use behind either electric or gas cooktops. They are also oil and stain-resistant and are relatively easy to clean. 

If you wish to be extra safe near the sink, make sure to get the wet area-rated panels. My number one tip is to make sure that all the panel ends are properly sealed with silicone to prevent water from coming into the panel. Please make sure to check your local council's rules and regulations regarding kitchen splashbacks. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your kitchen remodeling done.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects