Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen cabinet inset drawers unit for spices

EdwardW
Having an Impact

Kitchen cabinet inset drawers unit for spices

When I got tired of having various size spice jars piling up in the kitchen cabinet, I decide to make this drawer unit which sits inside of the cabinet. The body is white melamine board, edge banded with white pvc edge band. Drawers made of 12mm structured ply and painted with Rustoleum x2 white spray paint (2 coats).

Soft close slides, handles, some stickers courtesy of my sons and apologies for the mess 😉

1602998507515.jpg

1602998466506.jpg

1602917569579.jpg

1602917516578.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Kitchen cabinet inset drawers unit for spices

What an elegant solution to a very common problem. Especially if you've got jars in a variety of sizes. Makes things much tidier. Thanks for sharing @EdwardW. Do you have plans for any other projects around the house?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
EdwardW
Having an Impact

@JaneK 

Well I am working on multiple project at the moment and will share once they are ready... A set of laundry room cabinets, a student' desks for my sons, and an outdoor table & benches as well ... 

I also want to share some decorative projects I've made , like jewellery boxes recycling shop offcuts, especially ply offcut strips, which every woodworker has in abundance . 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic project @EdwardW. The quality of finish easily rivals pre-made units. However, you'll seldom find one that takes into consideration small containers. I agree that because of their non-stackable nature, small containers take up far too much room in standard cabinetry.

It sounds like you have plenty of projects planned, and I look forward to following along with them all. 

Well done and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rattyohara13
Just Starting Out

Beautiful work. You can actually do this with the whole pantry. Use 155 degree zero protrusion hinges on the doors, that will give you clearance from the inner drawers. Use the whole carcass width. Look at Blum inner drawers. Can get deeper if needed , but you have done awesome. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rattyohara13. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

That's a great tip about using zero protrusion hinges. They would certainly allow you to take full advantage of the cabinetry's width. Have you used them on your own cabinetry?

We look forward to hearing all about the projects and plans around your home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever have something to share or need assistance. I trust our members will appreciate all your knowledge, and in turn, you'll receive plenty of inspiration for your own projects.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects