Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen sink drain leak

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Kitchen sink drain leak

I am DIY beginner, In my kitchen sink main drain from sink to joint has some leak,Leak is from top drain strainer is added i can notice some gap. Can you please suggest  should i use some putty and which from bunnings to fix this or change . Please suggest

Pics added 1 ) sink from top where gap between sink hole and gap strainer

2) under the sink showing where it leaks

Sink1.jpgSink2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen sink drain leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DexterOz. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Kitchen sink wastes are sealed by rubber washers that generally sit under the sink and I have marked yours in red below. Regardless of the small gap that you have highlighted on the sink waste, the washer below should be stopping the water dripping out. Either the whole waste is not tightened sufficiently or that washer below needs to be replaced.

I would advise unscrewing the white pipe off of the grey waste and attempting to tighten the large grey waste fitting. I'm not seeing any grip points on the grey fitting to tighten it by so you might like to use a Haron 160mm Strap Wrench. After reattaching the white fitting if this doesn't stop the leak I would replace the large black washer highlighted in red. The large washer will be something similar to Kinetic Plug And Waste Washer but I would take the washer with you so a team member can match it up instore.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DexterOz
Building a Reputation

In Picture 1 can rotate the white knob ( loosened in picture) and the grey waste basket can move the whole strainer but dont seems to tighten anthing.

Question :

How can i take that L shaped pipe out as it seemed to be fixed to other end ( picture 1 ) point 2.

Added picture 2 for close view of grey waster funnelSink3.jpgSink4.jpg

YOur help is highly appreciated

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DexterOz,

You might need to pull out the strainer basket inside the sink and insert a screwdriver into the waste grill to hold it in position whilst you tighten the grey fitting underneath the sink. It will most likely be a two-person job, one to hold the screwdriver and the other to tighten the fitting. If you can turn the grey part underneath and the top strainer was moving then it indicates to me the waste is too loose and needs to be tightened.

To remove the white pipe unscrew the nut connecting it to the grey fitting. Pull it down away from the grey fitting and then to the left. It might take some twisting and turning but it will pull out of the white upright pipe. It is only held in with a socket and a washer.

Mitchell

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks MitchellMc, tightening the waste grill using screw driver helped.

Much appreciated , thanks again

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, many thanks for letting us know @DexterOz. Please don't hesitate to post again if you need further assistance.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects