Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Metallic taste after installing new mixer tap

talexpat
Finding My Feet

Metallic taste after installing new mixer tap

Hi everyone,

Just reaching out to see if anyone has clues on what to be done next.

Last night, bought and installed brand new Mondella Cadenza Matte Black Vege Spray Sink Mixer, however since then we are noticing slight metallic taste. Did some google searches and found the issue is not uncommon, thinking of waiting for few days before returning it at Bunnings. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-15 at 3.59.16 PM.jpeg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-cadenza-matte-black-wels-5-star-6l-min-vege-spray-sink-mixer_p0... 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Metallic taste after installing new mixer tap

Hello @talexpat

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your mixer tap.

This phenomenon often occurs when chlorine in the water reacts with the new copper inside your tap. It will eventually go away in time as a natural coating of scale forms inside the tap sealing the copper. As a temporary solution, I suggest getting a Stefani 8.5L On Bench Water Filter to filter out the metallic taste in the water. 

A stronger alternative would be the Stefani 10L Glazed Ceramic Water Filter. It reduces chlorine, bad taste and odours and is distilled by a multi-layered microporous purifying ceramic candle.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Interesting. I've never experienced this problem. Being old, I do possibly have dead taste buds though.

I always drink a glass of water straight from the tap - I never store it in the fridge - would that make a difference?

Mick70
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

How long is a reasonable time to wait for the taste to dissipate? We have had ours installed for 4 weeks and our water still tastes awful. We didn’t have any issues with the old tap and still no issues with other taps in the house. Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mick70 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Unfortunately, there is no set timeline when the lime scale coating will form inside your tap. The main culprit is the water that is passing through the tap, its's creating a chemical reaction that is producing that metallic taste. Even if you were to change sink mixers the reaction would still be there as the majority of tapware is made out of brass.   

My best recommendation for the meantime is to use a Stefani 10L Glazed Ceramic Water Filter, it uses a Low-Pressure Ceramic Cartridge Candle that removes foul taste and odour in the water. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects