Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint colour suggestions for kitchen cabinets?

Sandra26
Finding My Feet

Paint colour suggestions for kitchen cabinets?

IMG_9875.jpeg

Hi,

Am planning to paint my kitchen cabinets with the Dulux renovation range. I have settled on Tinker Grey as the colour, but I’d like some thoughts. I have looked at timeliness grey, moorland (green) but I keep coming back to tinker but I then doubt myself, friend who is doing the painting says colour is good. Could be that I’ve lived with this current colour for 12 years. They are laminate.

have found also Aerobus which is a light grey with blue undertones

Floor is pietra charcoal 

I don’t want white or cream cabinets, and the walls are lexicon quarter . I’ve been looking for a grey that has a blue undertone, which tinker seems to be the only one that I’ve found. 

we will be changing the tiles completely which will be white and larger than the current ones,  benchtop haven’t decided, but that will also probably be painted white.

Also kitchen has a lot of light 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Paint colour suggestions for kitchen cabinets?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Sandra26. We're excited to have you join us and trust you'll find the site a great resource containing handy tips and inspiring ideas for your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question - sounds like an exciting project! I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist as soon as he can. Let me also tag @nicoleherrick@Aaina and @raymond265 in case they have any thoughts. 

While waiting, I recommend checking out these 10 kitchens transformed with paint for some terrific project inspiration. The following comprehensive guides might also come in handy for your project: 

Keep us updated as your project progresses. I'd love to see how you end up transforming your kitchen.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community @Sandra26. We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen.

I'm sure any of those options you mentioned would look great! 

One more tip to add to the helpful reply from @Akanksha: I would recommend you visit our Featured Project section. You can use filters to browse for inspiration for your project. For example, select only Kitchen projects with the label Painting and browse by most viewed.   

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sandra26 

I suggest trying this technique to give you a good idea of what the tinker colour will look like on your kitchen cabinet. I suggest getting 9 pieces of the Dulux Tinker sample card at the store and joining them together at the back with sticky tape to form a square. Place the square on your rangehood door right above the handle and stick it into place.

For the next three days look at the colour in the morning, in the afternoon and at late at night with the kitchen lights on. If you still like the colour after three days and it makes you happy, go ahead with this colour.

I've done a quick photo manipulation of your cabinet doors. It's not totally perfect but you'll get the idea of a grey coloured door and what it might look like in your kitchen.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know. 

Eric

Hi Everyone 

thanks for the response.

@EricL  Good idea. What I did though was use sample paint and painted both colours on a kaboodle colour swatch.

I will be using the tinker

Once done I’ll upload finished work.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing the transformation @Sandra26!

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance along the way.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects