Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting Kaboodle raw doors

Garfield28
Growing in Experience

Painting Kaboodle raw doors

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has painted the Raw doors themselves so they could achieve a different colour scheme, and if so I'd be really interested to hear how did the paint job turn out and what type of paint was used? If it were acrylic love to know if the paint laid out flat and how the gloss levels are also. 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Kaboodle raw doors

Hello @Garfield28

Thanks for sharing your question about painting Kaboodle raw doors.

The Kaboodle raw doors are the perfect doors to use if you want to paint them in a custom colour. It is available in the full range of the Kaboodle door list and their profile range as well. Painting your raw doors is like painting a timber panel. Preparation is the key to achieve a flawless finish. I suggest using the best paint roller you can afford. I made the mistake of using a cheap roller and ended up with so many fibers on the door I was forced to re-paint it. Each roller is built specifically for the paint they will be used for. Make sure to read the tag on the roller if it is for gloss, low sheen, or multipurpose. 

I recommend using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L. This will seal the door and prevent it from absorbing the base coat once you put it on. Make sure to paint the hinge mounting holes as well. Here are some painting tips to help you with your project.

• Layout your doors as if they were drying overnight. Having space prepared will help you stay organized and you will not have to think about where to put the doors once you've painted them.
  • Make sure the area is well ventilated but not windy. The wind carries a lot of dust and debris, once these get on your doors you will have no choice but to re-sand them as they will stick out like sand on sandpaper.
  • Allow enough time for each coat to cure properly. Painting late in the afternoon accelerates the drying process of the paint which gives the illusion that it is dry. But when you touch the surface of the paint the bottom is still soft. 
  • Use only enough paint to finish what you estimate you'll be able to paint. Don't overload the paint tray, it's better to do multiple re-loads than to have the paint dry off in the tray.

The base coat colour is up to you, I recommend using Dulux Aquanamel as I've used this paint for my cabinet projects. This paint is made for high traffic areas and should be ideal for your kitchen doors.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a Kaboodle door

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Painting Kaboodle raw doors

Hi @Garfield28 

Just to add to @EricL suggestion, I have used a small roller with 4mm nap size. These rollers give a good finish.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-100-x-4mm-nap-little-ripper-microfibre-mini-roller-set_p0022470

JoeAzza_0-1634626364989.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects