Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pine dining table stain and varnish help

TrooperJo
Cultivating a Following

Pine dining table stain and varnish help

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here. I've been trying to follow steps here to make us a new dining table except I'm using a pine panel .

I've used Monocel Walnut Stain and Varnish and applied 3 coats. The first time I used the mohair roller as in the instructions. That first coat was so patchy I went to Bunnings and was suggested to use a Decking Oil Applicator for more even application. I could see the following 2 layers went on more even but it seems like the damage had already been done. It's still super patchy and there are some blurry patches and some semi-circle type marks I have no idea how to get rid of.

Other than that, we let some drips go down the edges and didn't wipe them up. I tried to sand them back but now there are parts of the edges that are clearly sanded right back and the drips are still there, see photos.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can try and improve the patchiness on top and on the edges?

Thanks! :smile:

IMG20220206171209.jpgIMG20220208213925.jpgIMG20220208214010.jpgIMG_20220208_220022.jpgIMG_20220208_220047.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pine dining table stain and varnish help

Hello @TrooperJo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure having you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about staining and varnishing your pine table.

It's great to hear that you're giving this project a go. You've made excellent progress so far, if you applied the Monocel Walnut Stain and Varnish neat or undiluted, you'll often get light and dark areas when you apply the stain and varnish. The technique of getting that first coat uniform is to thin the varnish with some turpentine. 

Because you've already applied the stain and varnish, it now becomes a little bit trickier as you'll need to sand the surface to remove the patchy parts. The semi-circle parts were caused by the direction of the applicator that was used earlier on. When applying stain and varnish, I recommend going in a single direction only when applying a coat. 

The only way to remove the side drips is to sand them down completely. I suggest using 180 grit sandpaper to get back down to the timber. Applying extra coats will not repair or cover the drips. Remember to wipe the drips on your next application.

Let me tag our experienced members @DanaR@craftyhopper@lifestylebymari and @prettyliving for their recommendations. 

Here is a handy video guide when applying Monocel Stain and Varnish:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TrooperJo
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric! That's really helpful 😊

We diluted the stain with 30% turps for each coat. I think I saw someone suggest continuing to dilute on here because the stain would otherwise we super dark.

Would you recommend a particular applicator to reapply the stain? 

If I end up sanding the edges rights back should I start again with the stain and varnish and do 3 coats plus 1 coat varnish?

When I sand the patches on the top should I do any more costs of the stain and varnish? Once I get the colour I want I will finish with just a coat of varnish. 

Possibly a silly question but is there a particular cloth I should use to wipe up after sanding or to wipe the drips? I used a damp microfiber after sanding and a chux for the drips. 

Thanks again 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TrooperJo

Some stain and varnish products are like that and they are very thick and sometimes need to be diluted. The product you have is both a stain and varnish, hence you don't need to cover it with varnish again. As for the applicator, I suggest using what you've been using now which is the Decking Oil Applicator. Just keep in mind when applying the stain and varnish to go in one direction only, from top to bottom, don't make turns or changes in direction. When you do the top edge of the table immediately brush the sides so you don't get drip marks. 

When you've sanded and evened out the top, do one diluted coat to see where you need to do more sanding. When doing the side edge, I suggest doing one coat first and observing the results. If you're happy with the way it turns out you can put the subsequent coats on to finish it off.  

I use a microfibre cloth slightly damp to pick up all the sanding dust.  

Eric

TrooperJo
Cultivating a Following

Thanks again Eric that's very helpful 😊

It would be great if you could share some finished photos with the community @TrooperJo, your table is looking fantastic and I'm sure will inspire others.

Jason

TrooperJo
Cultivating a Following

This is the finished dining table.

The blue chairs are our new chairs bought to match the new table and the timber chairs are our old chairs that we will get rid of soon. We are waiting on 4 more of the blue chairs and will pull the table away from the wall when we need to seat 8.

IMG20220221143458.jpg

IMG20220221150710.jpg

IMG20220221150717.jpg

  

The area needs something on the corner wall to complete it I think. I'm tossing up between doing 2 or 3 of the boxes below or just 2 or 3 shelves, with a small plant, frame, etc on them. It's a small area in our open plan living/dining/kitchen so I don't want it to look cluttered. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions!

IMG_20220221_144809.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TrooperJo

Thank you so much for the update. That table looks wonderful and you've done very well on the finish. I'm a big fan of plants, I suggest a plant stand in the corner. There are quite a few ways to build them, it can be made as ornate or simple as you want them to be. The best part is that you can have it at the height that you want. 

Here are some fantastic plant stand projects our Workshop members have shared.

Eric

TrooperJo
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric!

I'd love to have a plant stand and used to have a plant there but now I have a 9 month old who likes to climb things and pull things over so I don't think that's an option for a few years. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TrooperJo

Since there is a little person involved, I'm afraid your only choice is a Flexi Storage Decorative Shelving 250 x 38 x 250mm Oak Floating Shelf or perhaps a Hanging Plant Fixture. This should be safe from curious little hands and climbing little feet. That is until they figure out how to use chairs to climb higher. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects