Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting

Trish2
Building a Reputation

Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting

IMG20200423124750.jpgHello,  I'm new  here and not afraid to  have a go at some simple tasks, however a bit limited due to physical health. I'm in the process of preparing my kitchen tiles for painting on the tiniest of budgets, but I'm struggling with sanding the tiles in preparation for painting.  If I use the recommended grit of 400 I don't seem to make any difference to the gloss, I worked my way down to 80 grit to dull the gloss on tiles  it is very time consuming (like a a couple of tiles in a day due to my physical ability). Do I have to remove all the gloss it is so hard to see any difference? I am using an electric sander. I have purchased the Dulux renovation range and I have been on to Dulux and they recommend that I  get the laminate primer which will  help the paint bond, but I still have to remove all the gloss. (It doesn't say anything about that in the instructions another $60). I really need some experienced advice please! Only a small splashback to do. I have thought about taking the paint back and buying stick on tiles!

Trish

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting.

Hi @Trish2.

I've just done a test on my own tiles to try and assist me with solving this issue. With 400grit you will visibly see little to no difference in the gloss level of the tile. I started to see a visible difference with 240grit, yet the tile still appeared glossy. I do not believe from talking with Dulux that the expectation is that you will not see any gloss at all. It is simply to dull the gloss with 400grit, this should take less than 1 minute per tile with an electric sander.

Even though we can not visible see a difference, they are specifying in the documentation I have received from them that this treatment is adequate for their formulae to bond to. I understand your caution as with 400grit there does not seem a point where we can clarify that the tiles gloss is now dull. On a microscopic level 400grit is putting large trenches into the gloss surface, which is no doubt suitable for adhering the product to.

Please allow me until tomorrow when I can talk to their technical assistance who will be able to give me a definitive answer on how much sanding with 400grit we need to do in order to be sure the paint will adhere.

Thanks for your patience,

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Trish2.

I've just spoken to Dulux technical assistance and they have confirmed what I had believed to be correct. Even with the 400grit, we are simply abraiding the surface of the tile, you may not see any difference at all. What that will look like in practice is a quick 1-minute sanding of the surface with an electric sander then moving onto the next tile.

What you may in fact be doing is sanding through the entire glaze of the tile, Dulux has advised this is not expected. We do agree that the more sanding the better, perhaps even going to a 240grit to see the visible scratches. I hope this assists in making the job easier and gives you some peace of mind that the 400grit sandpaper is adequate for the job.

Please do keep us updated on the project and remember we are available to assist whenever you need a hand.

Mitchell 

Trish2
Building a Reputation

Thank you very much Mitchell, I really appreciate you going above and beyond for me. I'll put a photo up when I have finished. Oh should I buy the laminate primer and apply first as the rep I talked to suggested?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Trish2.

It's one of those things where they are erring on the side of caution. It will assist in the paint sticking but you seem to be doing a very thorough job of sanding the tiles as it is. I do not believe it is required and the technical assistant I spoke to did not recommend we do so.

Mitchell

Trish2
Building a Reputation

IMG20200526135206.jpgIMG20200423124750.jpg

Trish2
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc just wanted to say thank you! Finally remembered to post a photo, I finished some time ago (Thanks covid!). Now on to next project upcycling pine chest of drawers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Trish2,

That looks fantastic! You should be immensely proud of the work you have put in as it has really paid off. I'm so glad this worked out for you and I appreciate you following up with some pictures so we can all see the finished project.

We look forward to following along with your pine chest of drawers upcycling project and would encourage you to share it with the community as well.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job @Trish2. Thanks so much for sharing your completed project. I'm sure it will inspire other members and visitors. 

Jason

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Trish,

Thank you for posting. You have done just the thing I have been asking about. Love the new colour scheme ... it has made your kitchen look so bright and calm. 

Mitchell suggested your post as we are looking at doing the same. 

How have you found cleaning the painted tiles?

Any advice in general?

Thanks for sharing your great job.

Donna

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects