Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting

Trish2
Building a Reputation

Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting

IMG20200423124750.jpgHello,  I'm new  here and not afraid to  have a go at some simple tasks, however a bit limited due to physical health. I'm in the process of preparing my kitchen tiles for painting on the tiniest of budgets, but I'm struggling with sanding the tiles in preparation for painting.  If I use the recommended grit of 400 I don't seem to make any difference to the gloss, I worked my way down to 80 grit to dull the gloss on tiles  it is very time consuming (like a a couple of tiles in a day due to my physical ability). Do I have to remove all the gloss it is so hard to see any difference? I am using an electric sander. I have purchased the Dulux renovation range and I have been on to Dulux and they recommend that I  get the laminate primer which will  help the paint bond, but I still have to remove all the gloss. (It doesn't say anything about that in the instructions another $60). I really need some experienced advice please! Only a small splashback to do. I have thought about taking the paint back and buying stick on tiles!

Trish

Trish2
Building a Reputation

Re: Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting.

Hi @DonnaL thanks for the complement re my kitchen tiles. The paint on the tiles is only about 3 months old so hasn't stood the test of time yet. They clean up very well, although I am a household of only 1, but I do cook every day. If I look closely at the tiles behind the cook top I can see some a lone tile that had a pattern on it and it's a bit rough, but honestly, unless you are looking for it you would never know.

Preparation is time consuming of course but once I realised I didn't need to sand as much as I was trying to, it was a bit quicker. I downloaded the instructions from the Dulux site and followed them by the book. You have to remove all the silicone which I found a pain! Painting the tiles was the easiest part and I had plenty of paint left over, so used it up having a go at painting some laminate shelves in the laundry, even though Dulux has a different paint for laminate. (I painted the tiles in in my very small laundry as well). I have a heavy container of dog food stored on one shelf which I slide off twice a day to access it to feed the dog and no scuffs or scratches. I even used up the last bit painting some clay garden pots, I have no idea how they will last outside, but they look good so far! So I hope this helps. Good luck!

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Trish, it gives me some good info to work on. donna

Go gal @Trish2   Awesome job, bet you feel good that's all over and done with!  Well you should do, I know how hard it is when you have physical limitations, things seem to take so much longer.  I started a vanity area make over earlier this year then Covid hit and the cold weather, that's when my hands seize up and not much gets done, the mind is willing for sure but sadly the body holds me up.  But now the warmer weather is creaping in I'm wanting to complete the last bits I have to do, 1) paint my bathroom tiles, 2) the cabinets.  I just came across your post and another one on painting cabinets, so think you have both given me the motivation to get back in and get the last bit done in my vanity area.  Thanks to you @trish and @Stevem much appreciated to you both.

This old gal

ps will try and add pics when done.

Well done Trish2 👍👏👏👏 and congratulations on giving it a go.

Ari
Having an Impact

What a great improvement @Trish2  !  Thank you for sharing your before and after photos.  I've been thinking of doing this and you've encouraged me.

Cheers Ari

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparing kitchen splashback tiles for painting

Hi @Ari,

I noticed @Trish2's wonderful project inspired you. I trust your tile make-over would equally inspire our other members if you'd care to share it with us.

Please let us know if you need assistance with it. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AlenaM
Finding My Feet

Thank you so much for this post!

The sanding has been a concern of mine too.

This has helped in so many ways.

Thankyou!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AlenaM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

It's great that the sanding information has helped you with your project. It sounds like you are painting your tiles as well. If you are, would it be possible for you post a few photos of the painted area? I'm sure our members would be keen to see the transformation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects