Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget bar renovation

SoniaM
Cultivating a Following

Budget bar renovation

Completed an upcycle of an old bar inherited with house purchase. Wanted a retro vibe with a hint to the 1960/1970's tiki bar look. Got this look with a budget of $20.

IMG20220222160120~2.jpg

IMG20220222130000.jpg

Sanded down the old panel paper pine pine sheeting. Then painted it an orange as the budget bamboo privacy screening is quite open, so the orange paint shows through. Fab babe. First I carefully cut the screening in half vertically to required height so that it gave me double the length.

Screenshot_2022-02-22-16-19-57-16_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg

IMG20220221151618.jpg

Screenshot_2022-02-22-16-09-20-45_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Tacked the bamboo to the first vertical edge and then carefully stretched it across and where support vertical bars at the back of panelling tacketed it in place with some Brad nails. Reused the existing top and bottom moulding to keep it all in place.  

I am rather pleased with the result, will look super retro in the bar room retro upgrade - welcome to The Liquid Lounge.

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Re: Budget Bar renovation - budget $20

Awesome job @SoniaM . Tiki Bars are back. 

I hope you have some carved wooden masks and Tikis, pineapples, little unbrellas and plastic animal swizel sticks to go with the bar. Not to forget a

dancing hula girl.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Budget bar renovation

Nice work @SoniaM. What a fun project for your first post on Bunnings Workshop! I'm sure the community will love it and we look forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something new to share. We have clever and creative members sharing inspiring projects and helpful advice on the site every day. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Budget bar renovation

Hi @SoniaM,

First I would like to say, welcome to the Workshop community! It is awesome to have you here and already giving the community some inspiration for their home bar. This is a really great upcycle project done with a fantastic budget, you've done a wonderful job. 

I look forward to seeing your Liquid Lounge come together fully. Make sure you update us with the progress pictures along the way.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SoniaM
Cultivating a Following

Re: Budget Bar renovation - budget $20

Tiki pineapple punch bowl on a lazy Susan arrived in the mail oday. It has pride of place on the upcycled bar

IMG20220223181043.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects