Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

IMG20210213151548.jpg

IMG20210213151631.jpg

This is my new project. Just restoring it. I stripped the veneer off the top last night. I also took out the broken glass panel from the door and the smaller broken panel on the left side. 

I'm just wondering what stain and varnish to get for the finish? Below is a chart for wood types. I'm look for a light yellow birch finish. I think that is the closest match to the color. What do you think? 

images (46).jpeg

There are some minor scratches and scuffs on other parts of the cabinet. I am actually reluctant to touch it. No sanding back if not needed. I'm wondering if I should use a mixture of actually just rubbing some if the scratches out with a microfibre cloth and a liquid solution I have here? 

For the deeper scratches and scuffs I'm not sure what to do yet. Any suggestions? Remember it is veneer. Thank you. 

Re: China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

@MitchellMc 

This is what I used. This is what they suggested at Bunnings. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-50g-knead-it-multipurpose-epoxy-putty_p1230040 

I'm using an 80grit sandpaper for an orbital sander. I then changed over to 120 grit. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy,

I'll reach out via PM to get further details.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc and other members. 

I bought a waxstik to iron out the tiny little marks on the cabinet. I poilished it out. It does look Ok. I suppose I  have a critical eye. I have never really worked with veneer before. I am wondering if one is able to stain and varnish over veneer, or if I would have to strip it back? Either way, I need to make a decision, so I can get this project done. I am on a limited time with it and need to get moving. In light of that, I am just trying to choose the right way to move forward and get it done without creating more work for myself. 

Wouldy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy,

As per my initial comment, to restore this unit to original, I believe the method would be to sand the entire cabinet with a 180/240 grit sandpaper and then apply a French polish. Restoring cabinetry like this is an art form that takes many years to learn. It requires the use of advanced techniques and skills in cabinetry restoration. Completely stripping it back to stain and varnish would not be something I would recommend if you are on a limited time frame. Perhaps you might like to show us some updated images of the areas which are now causing you concern.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

I am at work at the moment so will have to do photos later. If I sand the entire unit back and apply the french polish, I will then have the added step of removing veneer first before doing that. I will send photos later of what it looks like with waxstik before and after. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

The veneer is what would receive the French polish. I don't see any need to remove it unless it is damaged and is to be replaced with an equivalent veneer. The veneer is normally a thin layer of costly, beautifully grained and figured timber. Its purpose is to cover the less expensive construction grade timber used to build the carcass.

I look forward to seeing those images.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

I am following you now. I am about to go home and take some photos, then I will go to Bunnings. If I do decide to sand it back, I am assuming it will obviously need to be a very light sand with the 180/240 grit, yes?

Wouldy. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

After having another think about it, I'd recommend steel wool instead of sandpaper. I feel the sandpaper might be too aggressive. Most marks in French polish reside in the coating layer and not the timber. I'd encourage you to have a look through some YouTube videos on how to restore French polish. They'll be able to demonstrate the process in far more detail than what I can convey in text.

I'll be here over the weekend to answer any questions you have.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Alright I will check out the steel.wool. The first two photos you see is after applying the waxstik and polishing with a soft cloth. The third photo you see is without the waxstik. At this stage I'm thinking it's time for steel wool and French varnish. 

IMG20210226145758.jpg

IMG20210226145803.jpg

@MitchellMc 

I went to Bunnings and got what I needed. I couldn't get the surface restore 250 ml rom feast Watson as it was out of stock. I was going to use it with the steel wool. 

I've got most of everything though to do the other things I need to do with it.  

Wouldy. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects