Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

IMG20210213151548.jpg

IMG20210213151631.jpg

This is my new project. Just restoring it. I stripped the veneer off the top last night. I also took out the broken glass panel from the door and the smaller broken panel on the left side. 

I'm just wondering what stain and varnish to get for the finish? Below is a chart for wood types. I'm look for a light yellow birch finish. I think that is the closest match to the color. What do you think? 

images (46).jpeg

There are some minor scratches and scuffs on other parts of the cabinet. I am actually reluctant to touch it. No sanding back if not needed. I'm wondering if I should use a mixture of actually just rubbing some if the scratches out with a microfibre cloth and a liquid solution I have here? 

For the deeper scratches and scuffs I'm not sure what to do yet. Any suggestions? Remember it is veneer. Thank you. 

Re: China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

@JoeAzza 

I have to say it is a disappointment when people have been given a family heirloom and completely allowed it to get wrecked by shoving it in a garage for years on end with no special covering or protection. 

That is never an easy fix at all but I took it on. The top was not salvageable. Front door piece of glass was smashed and broken in half. Other half missing.  In my opinion the whole left side panel could do with replacing. Looks somewhat better with two new pieces of glass. 

Thankfully no wood rot so it didn't need a treatment. Did not replace veneer on top or door. Gave it more a raw look and stained as close as I could to color match. 

Put a quarter round on as removing veneer left a 2ml gap. 

It has actually been a lot if hard work. I will never touch veneer again after this experience. 

Wouldy

@MitchellMc @redracer01 @Brad @JoeAzza 

Well as promised, here is the finished product. I did a walkthrough video. This was my last job that I take on for anyone. I am now just going to keep what I do as my hobby. I unfortunately dealt with a very unpleasant and drama fueled person in the end which caused me a whole bunch of stress. I cared for the cabinet, just not the person. I actually feel low about this job. I am not sure if it is OK or not. I would rather know some truths than lies. If it looks really bad, I like to be told. So go for it be honest. 🙂 

Wouldy

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi .@Wouldy

Great job, well done, considering the original condition of the cabinet. 

It looks really good.

Joe

@JoeAzza 

Thank you. It could have done with a few more things but yes considering the condition it was before I did a pretty good job for a novice. 

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects