Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coastal-style coffee table refresh

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Coastal-style coffee table refresh

20.png

I found a very sturdy but old and damaged coffee table on the Facebook marketplace and thought I would refurbish it for my son and his girlfriend who have just bought a house in the country. Although it's not really country cottage style, it turned out to be more of a coastal look piece, the kids love it and I'm so glad. I also thought I would try a herringbone popsicle stick hack I had seen on YouTube. Although the first attempt was a real fail, the second try turned out really well and just makes the piece pop .1.JPG2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png8.png9.png10.png11.png12.png13.png14.png15.png16.png17.png18.png19.png19a.png21.JPGIMG_2780 - Copy.JPG

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Old Coffee Table Refurb with Herringbone Detail

Gorgeous coastal coffee table @daniknight4!

I love your herringbone design, it adds such a beautiful feature to the table. I can't wait to see what you do with the wallpaper. Thank you for sharing your learning about the primer, it will save time and money for any upcycling project. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Re: Coastal-style coffee table refresh with herringbone detail

Thank you! @KatieC 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Wow !!!! What a difference, so beautiful @daniknight4 , can’t wait to see what your next project will be 😍

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daniknight4 

Thank you very much for sharing the steps for your coffee table refresh project. I now have a new use for giant popsicle sticks! This kind of project often involves a lot of strip cutting which which takes a while to do. But with the popsicle sticks it makes the project easier to accomplish. It is truly a fantastic transformation and a fantastic way to give used furniture a second life.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

Thank you! @mich1972 

Thank you @EricL Yes you could certainly make some pretty big popsicles with those😁😂

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Whitewash coastal herringbone look with large popsicle sticks ~ 5 things I learnt

I made over an old coffee table the other week and wanted to insert some herringbone side panels into it. I had watched some YouTube videos and all seemed ok to proceed. My first attempt however did work out as I had planned even though I had done everything that the videos suggested. As I couldn't put these panels in, they just weren't up to standard, I had to go back and figure out where I went wrong and what I could change to make my subsequent attempt upcycle worthy😆

After changing and adding some steps I was so pleased with the result and proud to display them in my coffee table upcycle!Untitled.pngUntitled2.pngUntitled3.pngUntitled4.pngUntitled5.pngUntitled6.pngUntitled7.pngUntitled8.pngUntitled9.pngUntitled10.pngUntitled11.pngUntitled12.pngUntitled13.pngUntitled14.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Whitewash Coastal Herringbone Look with Large Popsicle Sticks ~ 5 things I learnt.

Hi @daniknight4 

Thank you very much for the updated Herringbone technique with popsicle sticks. The space between the sticks has made the wood filler really standout and has made it more defined. I believe it was the PVA's water base that made the sticks warp, whereas the Maxi Nails is solvent based and does not release water vapor when it dries up.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects