Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Console table - first ever DIY project completed

consoletable
Building a Reputation

Console table - first ever DIY project completed

Hit a roadblock with woodcutting earlier but managed to complete the project eventually - big thanks to @MitchellMc who gave some great advice to my problems!

The completed console table

Initially thought I was going to be OK with the finish that come with the wood, but ended up hating its roughness, so spent another couple days researching wood finish and eventually settled on Feast Watson 125g Black Hard Wax | Bunnings Warehouse - loving the result!

Next matter to worry about is cable management😅

89966524.jpg

1178745397.jpg

2121462063.jpg

1653807780.jpg

PC dolly

Had some excess wood so made a dolly for my PC tower. Didn't bother to refinished it but may do that later.

1012066750.jpg

1741248322.jpg

488274080.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Console table - first ever DIY project completed with (I think :b) great success :D

Hi @consoletable,

That looks fantastic and congratulations on completing your first D.I.Y. project!

How did you go with cutting the wood? What type of blade did you use and was the finish of the cut satisfactory?

Many thanks for sharing your results as I trust they will be of great inspiration to our members.

Amazing work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Console table - first ever DIY project completed with (I think :b) great success :D

Thanks Mitchell.

I ended up finding out a friend had a circular saw, so I borrowed his. It's a 165mm cordless Makita saw with a 25t blade. I did have to tape the cutting line a couple layers to prevent surface wood splitting at the end of each cut, but otherwise it's very much OK! A few minor imperfections did occur but nothing some wood filler and a piece of sandpaper couldn't fix!

Benskimo
Making a Splash

This is a really cool look, nicely done :smile:

vr_syd
Having an Impact

Re: Console table - first ever DIY project completed

@consoletableThat's a good looking console table! Can you tell me what you used for the legs? The industrial pipe and joints etc.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vr_syd,

@consoletable has used threaded galvanised pipe and fittings to achieve this neat industrial style. They appear to have used mounting plates, two 450mm tubes for the uprights, a couple of elbows, and a 300mm tube for the horizontal joiner. There are many options for you to create your design.

Please let me know if you need any assistance selecting products to use or have questions.

Mitchell

@MitchellMcThanks for the info. Already trying to plan something where I can use those :laugh:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vr_syd

Just to add to the suggestions already given by my colleague, I suggest using solid plastic castors if you are going over carpet, however, if you are on cement or timber flooring I recommend rubber to prevent damaging the surface of the floor. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your console table.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects