Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. Drawers - recycled pallet wood, pine and MDF

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

D.I.Y. Drawers - recycled pallet wood, pine and MDF

My daughters decided they wanted to share a bedroom. Issue was how to sort out 2 bedroom cupboards into 1. Previous drawers I used were old and falling apart. Plus I needed something that would fit in the allocated space. I built the shelving first planning on using decorative tubs I’d found but they were to small. So instead I built drawers using MDF and fixed wood to the front so that it all blended in. Fits all their clothes perfectly!!0EEE9CC5-AF48-4A6E-8BC2-BD5C0BF44F53.jpeg3C611240-764C-49D1-965D-1D5BD2DDCAA5.jpeg236F2E23-7285-47DC-A90E-0813C6E0711A.jpeg51072684-23B8-498D-AD0E-17EFA773629F.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY Drawers - recycled pallet wood, pine and MDF

Looks fantastic @Tara86, well done! 

I'm sure your great work will inspire other community members. 

What did you find the most difficult during the build? And have you got any tips for others who would like to build something similar?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Thanks heaps @Jason! Have to say the hardest part was making the draws. I learned a lot with this project, how to deal better when things don’t work. Made a lot of silly errors and was a bit impatient ha ha.

As Plan A didn’t work my decision on making the MDF draws was rushed.  The first couple I made were a bit odd shaped. I realised I wasn’t checking my measurements properly or that the corners were square. Putting to much pressure on myself to finish it. Annoyed I had to change my plans. So I left it for a couple of days. Took a time out, did research and then tried again. This time I triple checked measurements and making sure I worked on flat surfaces!! 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

For a second there I thought the discussion was you wanted to adjust these store bought shelves to suit you needs, no... you made them. Terrific stuff, stylish and solved a problem in one! Great job! Got any other projects planned around the house? I'd love to see them!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Nice move going to built-to-size drawers with timber fronts that tie in with the frame--great look!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@MitchellM wow thank you so much!! That really means a lot to me.

I’ve only been doing this for 2 years so have so much I need to learn. I absolutely love it (once I’ve finished ha ha). 

Have done a lot of projects inside the house but also started outside. Planning to post recent work up soon. One project is a continuation from the deck we built last year which I’ve posted about previously. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects