Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY upcycled vanity

kateferguson
Getting Established

DIY upcycled vanity

B203CE29-E009-449E-A4C9-430E56966B2C.jpeg

Like many of us during Covid I spent lots of time inside the walls of our home and decided I wanted more unique furniture but I didn’t have the budget to accommodate so I decided I’d make them myself.

This beautiful vanity was gifted to me by a friend that belonged to her grandmother and when I saw it I knew I wanted to give it a new look with big Versailles inspiration.

I started by cleaning and stripping the piece of the existing varnish before scuff sanding the whole piece and sanding the top and draws back to their natural colour.

I then lightly primed the main piece and painted it in trim semi gloss paint by Tint called ‘Do Not Disturb’.

I wanted to keep the beautiful original handles so I gave them new life with Dulux duramax bright gold finish spray paint, which I also hand painted details onto the side. To finish I sealed the piece with a clear polyurethane.

73E07B08-95D8-45E0-95D4-A74C6B378EC8.jpeg

280E3EF5-9201-49E3-A71B-34C91DB31A9B.jpeg

7174A3E6-E9BF-492C-8F2A-B1782A0B0518.jpeg

AB602844-37FC-4C6A-B5DB-CC49BCA93755.jpeg

Rolando
Having an Impact

Re: DIY upcycled vanity

Brilliant job, now I'm envious! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kateferguson

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your upcycled vanity project.

What an amazing transformation, that dark cabinet colour really gives excellent contrast to the cabinet top and drawer fronts. It's great to know that you've managed to save the original handles. Just out of curiosity, what will you be doing anything with the cabinet mirror? I suppose if the mirror is still in good condition, you could turn it into a wall-hanging unit.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful upcycled vanity.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the lovely welcome! I’m hoping to reattach the mirror at some point with new brackets as it looks beautiful complete but would also look amazing wall mounted above, so many options!

Thank you 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects