Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dinner table makeover

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Dinner table makeover

Our dining table was 15 years old, and we wanted to update the look. Instead of buying a new one, we thought it was better to reuse and save both money and the environment. The table was originally made from recycled Oregon with an orange and brown stain. The idea was to strip off the varnish, lacquer and paint the sides to give it a Hamptons look which my wife likes.

• Paint Stripper 500 ml
  • Monarch Razorback 100mm Scraper
  • Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander
  • Flexovit 240 Grit to fit the sander
  • A4 300 grit sandpaper
  • Timber Protect 250ml Gloss One Coat Clear Water Based Varnish
  • Leftover Dulux paint

Steps
Take off the legs and clean the table thoroughly and let it dry. Wear some disposable gloves and work outside with lots of ventilation. Apply Polystrippa with a paintbrush and let it stand for 4-5 mins. Scrape off and collect the old varnish. The varnish comes off wet then dries very quickly. After removing the varnish, you can start the sanding. I have a small Ryobi 300W Random Orbital, and it works fine. I used the 240 grit as it is more forgiving if I make a mistake. After all the scratches were sanded away, and the surface was smooth to touch, I then used a 300 grit and sanded by hand. Varnish was applied using a brush, then I wiped off any excess; I let it dry overnight then lightly sanded the surface by hand. This was repeated three times, and the table was dried for four days before we move it back in. The sides and legs were just painted in white, two coats.

20201010_185415.jpegBack in the houseBack in the house20201008_113322.jpeg20201008_101300.jpeg20201008_070837.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dinner table makeover

Hi @Nham,

What a fantastic transformation you have achieved there! I'm a great fan of this styling, and I have been considering a similar Hampton's look for my own dining set. It is currently a fairly standard timber setting, and I believe it would look amazing if I followed your instructions.

Many thanks for sharing and including instructions. I trust your project will inspire many of our members. Well done, I look forward to your next one.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @Nham 

The table looks fantastic and the grain of the timber deserved to be brought back to life and seen for all its beauty.

Well done,

Stuart.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks fantastic @Nham. Congratulations. We will feature your wonderful handiwork on our Project Gallery.

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Oh what a fantastic job you have done @Nham 😊

katska
Just Starting Out

It looks brand new! 🎉👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katska. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Have you got any furniture that you'd like to do a similar make-over on?

It would be fantastic to hear all about the projects you have going on around your own home and garden, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration as our fabulous members are contributing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

NickiM
Having an Impact

That’s a fantastic makeover @Nham I have considered doing mine too, but the chairs scare me a little given the extra time and effort to makeover the chairs. 
Thanks for the instructions and list of tools required. I’ll definitely consider it a lot more now. 

image.jpg

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @NickiM , the grain on your table looks really nice. I was thinking, you could always just paint the chairs white to save you time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects