Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dowel panelled leg coffee table

lauraahearn
Building a Reputation

Dowel panelled leg coffee table

1FEFBD80-41F2-439B-BDBC-E42C83870EEF.jpeg

I made this table after seeing them retail online for $800+ and felt like I could make my own design! I actually used wooden broom stick ends from the cleaning department because they were cheaper than using doweling, so I had them cut into pieces approx 30cm each. Using old recycled timber posts that I had lying around, I used these for the legs and purchased a piece of pine timber from a Bunnings for the top. We had a machine that could cut them timber into a circle shape so this was cheaper than purchasing a pre cut piece. I used Cabothane clear stain for the wood and finished it off with a white enamel spray paint. 🤍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dowel paneled leg coffee table

Love it @lauraahearn! Your ingenuity in using the broom handles instead of the dowel is enviable and I absolutely adore your styling. You must be very pleased with your efforts in replicating the more expensive piece. Well done.

I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou! Absolutely loved this project. This is also such a supportive and positive group so Thankyou for your lovely comments. 

karentjdoyle
Growing in Experience

@lauraahearn 

Very clever, looks lovely... how much did it end up costing 😊

Hi @karentjdoyle,

Let me mention @lauraahearn, so they are alerted to your kind comment and question.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @karentjdoyle!

it cost approximately $100 including the dowels (broom sticks) @ $6 each cut into 3 pieces each. I used 10 pieces per leg. Including the enamel white spray paint and the table top. I had treated pine 1.2x1.2 cut which was approx $40 but saved on having the equipment to cut it into a circular shape. I also had posts for the legs ready to go, so saved on them too! 

Thanks @MitchellMc :smile:

Wow, that is amazing, very impressive, you saved yourself $700 but more importantly you have the proud feeling of had made  it yourself, Inspirational 😊👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects