Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Glued Board Warped

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Glued Board Warped

Hi Team, 

This is my first project an got the table top glued but then i believe because of not clamping properly i got a warp on one side in my board.Do let me know if i try to screw the board to my base by force would that stay strong ? or is there an alternate way i can resolve the warp.

Side which is fineSide which is fineWarped SideWarped SideWarped BoardWarped Board

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Glued Board Warped

Hi @kartheesh. Sorry to hear about your warped tabletop, I can assist with your question.

You will be able to screw it back in place but it will put stress on the glue joints. In this process, we will use clamps to offset the warping force of the timber. Due to how warped the top is, I do not believe screws alone will have the force to correct the issue and pull it back into place.

I would go about this by doing a dry test run first. Clamp the benchtop down on all four corners to see if you can reduce the distortion to meet the frame. Keep tightening the clamps until a reasonable result is achieved. Add additional clamps in the middle to remove the bow which is in your first picture. If you were able to pull the top down sufficiently this is a good indication you will be able to glue and screw it in place.

Predrill screw holes on all corners (two is better than one) and incrementally across the tabletop. I would go as far as having each board individually screwed in place. You want the screws to be as long as possible without coming out the underside of the base frame timber.

Remove the clamps and the tabletop. Apply glue to all parts of the base where the tabletop will touch. Replace the tabletop and add all the clamps back where they were before. Once the tabletop meets the base again screw it down into position. Leave the clamps on for a full 24hours to ensure the glue has dried.

I hope this assists in fixing the situation. If you have further questions or need advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Re: Glued Board Warped

Thanks mate will give it a try hope the clamp works..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects