Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you make a D.I.Y. whiteboard for a home office?

ghowe145
Getting Established

How do you make a D.I.Y. whiteboard for a home office?

Hi all,

I am hesitant to purchase a proper whiteboard online (so expensive!) when I could possibly make one myself. Has anyone done this? Bunnings has the Aligloss White/Black Composite Panel that says it has a:

• High gloss finish
  • Ideal for sign writing
  • Internal or external use
  • Ideal for white marker boards

I am curious if anyone has tried this particular material or has another method to try.

Thanks all,

Georgie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you make a D.I.Y. whiteboard for a home office?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ghowe145. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I haven't personally used that product before but from what I can see it is not only used in residential purposes but in commercial settings too. I trust it would be more than adequate and provide a quality surface for your whiteboard. You might like to use Porta 30 x 19mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Picture Frame Moulding to cap off the edges and provide a fantastic finish to the project.

I'd be interested to know if Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Self Adhesive Film White Gloss allows whiteboard markers to be wiped off without leaving staining. It would certainly open up a whole variety of applications for it.

Let me mention the talented @prettyliving and @Tara86 to see if they might have some suggestion on a low-cost whiteboard for the home.

We look forward to following along with your project and would encourage you to keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you need any assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

What about using a large sheet of 16mm melamine particle board? 
We’ve got a melamine benchtop in our study (obviously thicker) and whiteboard marker just wipes straight off with a cloth - I know that cos my kids are forever drawing on it 🙄😅
You could always frame it with some moulding as Mitchell suggested. 

@prettyliving,

That's a great suggestion to use CustomPine sheeting. I was hoping that we could use Customwood MDF 3mm 2440 x 1220mm White Melamine Backing but the manufacturer was hesitant to suggest it as they were concerned the markers would stain. I'd still like to experiment with it though as with that budget price it would be amazing to make larger whiteboards out of.

Mitchell

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@ghowe145  welcome!! Yes this is a great substitute for using as a white board. You can either leave it this size or cut down to make multiple boards. Option to frame it like @MitchellMc has recommended would also help give it that nice finished touch. 
Weve had melamine furniture that the kids have gotten to with the whiteboard markers we have on the fridge. If actioned quickly enough they came off with spray and cloth but the longer it was left the harder it was to remove. Saying that I have magnetic whiteboard sheets on my fridge and I still have to give them a nice clean once in awhile. 

Hope that helps and good luck 😀

ghowe145
Getting Established

Many thanks all - I have purchased the Aligloss panel, will keep you posted on results! The team at Hawthorn did a patch test in-store and they said a whiteboard marker wipes off easily.

I look forward to my reasonably priced D.I.Y. whiteboard!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ghowe145,

I'm glad you were able to obtain what you needed.

Please post an image of your finished whiteboard as I trust we'll all be waiting to see how it turned out.

Mitchell

Hi all,

I can confirm the Aligloss panel works a treat as a whiteboard surface. Whiteboard markers wipe right off. 

I have yet to border it with the molding, but very happy so far.

Thanks for all your help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ghowe145,

Many thanks for the update and your feedback on the Aligloss White Black Composite Panel 1220mm x 810mm x 3mm.

We look forward to seeing your finished project.

Mitchell

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc . I am planning to create a white board as well. Rather than fixing something on a new house walls, I am planning to use AI Coating

https://www.bunnings.com.au/a-i-coatings-750ml-white-board-write-wall-paint-kit_p0233266

It requires less efforts, cheaper than Aligloss panel.

Any thoughts?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects