Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shelves to Hebel block walls?

LRB
Finding My Feet

How to attach shelves to Hebel block walls?

I have justed moved into an apartment with hebel block walls and would like to hang some shelves.

Can anyone explain to me how I would go about doing this? Is there a special wall anchor? Can I use concrete screws?

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to attach shelves to Hebel block walls?

Hi @LRB,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and apologies for the slow reply. It's a busy time on the site at the moment with much of the country in lockdown and many people tackling D.I.Y. projects. 

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he is back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, let me tag helpful and knowledgable members @tom_builds and @TedBear to see if they might like to share their thoughts about what they would use. You might also get some ideas from these previous discussions about securing to Hebel:

Hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for the tag.  I haven't dealt with Hebel products, so I will defer selection of the best fixing for your situation to other tagged members, but in the meantime there is a comprehensive list of suitable fixings with details on how to attach them from Hebel at

https://hebel.com.au/downloads/Hebel-Tech-Man-Pt5-Fixings-Finishes-Access-2.pdf 

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @LRB 

And thanks for the tag @Jason.

I think @TedBear has it covered with his link to their website, I also haven't ever encountered hebel blocks before, and my quick bit of research led me to that same spot. 

Hope you are able to get your shelves up!

Best of lucki

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LRB

My apologies for the late reply. It's fantastic that you've received great advice from @Jason, @TedBear, and @tom_builds.

Hebel is a strong, versatile, high-performance building product made from Autoclaved Aerated Concrete. This makes the concrete lightweight but still strong enough to be used in construction. If you look at the Hebel Fixture and Fittings list, you will notice that they have weight ratings next to them. If your shelf and the item you are placing on it go past this rating, it may pull the shelf off the wall.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the shelves and brackets you are planning to attach to the wall. Once we see what you will be using, it will give us a better idea of what to recommend.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

LRB
Finding My Feet

Thanks everyone for replying. 

@EricL I have attached photos of shelves I want to hang on wall. Floating shelves with the shelf fitting over the mounted brackets. The shelves themselves are not too heavy - maybe 2-3Kg. 

if possible I’d like to hang them in my kitchen and store glasses or mugs on them. 

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

FA7DFA76-20AB-4D47-9578-3735CFCC84E7.jpeg

78BEF624-6A7B-4326-B52D-03ED903B22A7.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LRB

Thank you for posting those photo updates. I recommend using the Ramset 10 x 50mm Ramplug. According to the Hebel Fixtures and Fittings Guide, it is indicated to hold a maximum load of 12kg. However, if you wish to be extra secure I suggest the Ramset 12 x 60mm Anchor RamPlug. I propose bringing the shelf bracket with you when purchasing the plugs and screws to make sure that they will fit. Please make sure that the screw heads are not so big that they prevent you from pushing your shelf all the way to the wall.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your shelves installed.

Eric

mdy
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

I've been following your post and i need to attach a hose reel myself (weight < 7 Kg), I was wondering if i could just use the Hex head screw without any Ramset ramplug ?

Looks like according to the below link this can be done without Ramse ramplug ? I was just wondering what the benefit of using Ramset Ramplug is ?

https://hebel.com.au/fixtures-and-fittings-how-to-secure-to-your-hebel-walls/

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mdy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about Hebel block walls.

Unfortunately, the Hebel block does not have enough material strength to hold the hex head screw by itself. The purpose of the Ramset Ramplug is to provide expansion holding force. As the screw enters the Ramset Ramplug it expands to wedge itself into the sides of the hole that you've drilled into the Hebel block. This prevents the screw from pulling out, please note that these fittings have weight ratings assigned to them so it's important to determine how heavy the items are when choosing your fittings.

Keep in mind that you're not only holding the hose and the gardenhose holder, but the water in the hose as well which is quite significant and adds weight to the assembly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mdy
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for the explanation and help, it was very insightful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects