Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden frame for a strained glass panel

Tensy
Getting Established

How to build a wooden frame for a strained glass panel

Hi there,

I made a stained glass panel for my toilet window, and now I want to build a wooden frame for it, so that 1) it will be stuck in the window frame, stay upright and not fall off; and 2) I can move the panel around without touching the panel which is made of lead.

I am wondering what kind of wood strip I should purchase and use, and also what is the best way to connect them together (I have a circular saw, a hot glue gun and  a nail/staple gun)? What is the best adhesive to attach the stained glass panel to the wooden frame?

Thank you!

1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a wooden frame for a strained glass panel

Hello @Tensy

Thank you for sharing your question about building a frame for your stained glass panel. Let me first compliment you on how beautiful that stained glass panel is. I suggest using Porta 30 x 19mm 2.4m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Picture Framing Select for your timber framing. Please keep in mind that it will add an extra 15mm to the overall size of the stained glass.

I recommend measuring the aluminium frame of the window where the timber frame will be mounted. It's important that the timber frame not be bigger than the window itself. Make sure to measure the overall size of the stained glass window and how thick it is before proceeding to the store.

To keep the stained glass inside the timber frame, I suggest using Everhang Nickel Plated Frame Stay - 4 Pack. It comes in a bigger pack if you wish to add more stays. Please make sure to drill pilot holes for the screws to prevent splitting the timber frame.

To hang your finished frame you have the choice of either drilling straight through the timber into the windows aluminium frame. I propose using Zenith 10G x 30mm Galvanised Wafer Head Metal Screws. Please make sure not to screw too close to the glass panel of the window to prevent splintering it. The other option is to use Zenith 300mm Aluminium SureHook Picture Hanging Rail For Timber Frame

It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to make a D.I.Y. picture frame

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tensy
Getting Established

Re: How to build a wooden frame for a strained glass panel

Wow that is extremely helpful Eric! Thank you so much! I will do that and report back :laugh:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects