Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut VJ panelling around a split system?

Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

How to cut VJ panelling around a split system?

4377726A-9DC4-4BA6-B669-85A9557199C2.jpeg

F1159769-27A4-4B11-B3B0-75B83CD8B4D6.jpeg

Hi Community,

Hoping someone might be able to help with an easy way to cut a VJ panel sheet to go around my split system. 

Is there some way to mould the shape then transfer it onto the panel?

Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut VJ panelling around a Split System

Hello @Bomber25

Thanks for sharing that question about cutting EasyVJ panelling. My suggestion is to cut a cardboard template to the size of your aircon head unit. I propose starting at the top and ending at the sides of the head unit, then the bottom piece. You can keep the cardboard in place with some sticky tape folded in on itself. The last step would be to do the sides, it is critical that the cardboard pieces be precisely cut so that when you transfer the image to the EasyVJ panel it will fit perfectly.

Once you cut the EasyVJ panels into the necessary pieces it will be necessary to fill the cutting line so that it will not be noticeable when you paint the panel. For example, if you were to measure from the left-hand wall to the side of the head unit, this panel would be your reference for the top and bottom panels to be put in. 

This is where the cardboard template comes into play, you use it to mark the panels for the top and bottom. Once you've cut them out of the panel you can then do a test fit and sand the panel down should it be too tight. The last step will be the panel to the right, just double-check your measurements before cutting the panel. 

Let me call on our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your EasyVJ panels installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Bomber25,

Depending on your AC unit, you might be able to remove the white plastic cover/housing in order to take a template of the unit. I think most covers can be removed to allow for servicing/cleaning of the filters. 

Otherwise @EricL‘s method of cutting a cardboard template is the way to go.

Best of luck and I’m sure your EasyVJ panel wall will look great! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bomber25,

It's great to see you've already received some excellent advice from both @homeinmelbourne and @EricL.

I thought I'd throw another method in the ring that can get you some highly accurate dimensions and cutout. As opposed to making a cardboard template and then trying to position it correctly on your sheeting, I like to directly transfer measurements if possible, and this can be done with a straight edge. You'll need someone to hold the sheet while you mark it. The renderings I've created below should be fairly self-explanatory but I'll run you through them.

First, position your panel beneath the aircon, and by placing your straight edge against the sides of the unit, transfer long pencil lines onto the panel to mark their positions. Next, place the board hard against the cornice where it will finish and transfer the top and bottom of the aircon onto the panel. You might also like to mark the location of the top of your wainscotting onto the sheet too. Cut out the hole for the aircon and the sheet to size. You should get a near-perfect cut out if you were reasonably accurate with transferring the dimensions.

I'm keen to follow along with your project. Please let us know if you have further questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects