Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to drill screw inserts in D.I.Y. table?

timothyleong
Getting Established

How to drill screw inserts in D.I.Y. table?

Hi there, I am assembling a DIY table and want to make sure that Im on the right track. The table legs came with M6 bolts and I bought these screw inserts (link below). What drill bit sets do you recommend for the job? And what size hole should I be drilling the inserts?

I plan on using an allen key to screw the inserts in so I may not need an impact driver.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/taskmaster-m6-x-13mm-screw-in-insert-nut-flat-surfaces-8-pack_p0035526

Re: How to drill screw inserts in D.I.Y. table?

Screw-in inserts are by nature quite stiff to screw in @timothyleong. They won't just screw in with no resistance; they need to cut their own thread into the timber as they go. However, I can certainly understand your hesitancy given feedback on them. Perhaps you could try one in a non-critical location to get an idea of whether this will work. As a lubricant, you could use an oil or wax. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @timothyleong 

since a picture is worth a thousand words - I have found a Youtube video which shows the method that I suggested.

Hopefully seeing it done in practice will give you the confidence to proceed.

The interesting section starts at about 2 minutes in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvcNG6bQcRE

Hi guys,

I saw that video and I tried that method but without an impact driver. I currently have one insert that is broken and another for some reason the bolt is loose in the insert and wont come out. Im trying to find youtube videos to solve those problems but if you guys have any tips that would be appreciated.

Also one of the holes I drilled was too small, is there any way that I can drill a bigger hole over it?

Once again thanks for all your help!

IMG_8356.jpeg

Afternoon @timothyleong 

You asked this on the previous page...

"Or do you recommend other inserts?"

Right at the very end of the YouTube video Ted provided above - the presenter made it very clear to buy steel inserts.

I used the aluminium ones mentioned earlier on the underside of a very old bar stool. I replaced the old wood with new plywood and used the inserts to anchor the four legged base. I managed this with an appropriate sized hole (using a drill press), allen key and WD-40. I treated the insert like a metal die, turning one revolution and backtracking half a revolution. Fractured one but in the end managed to insert four of them. 

You mentioned above that one bolt (M6) is loose and won't come out - most likely that very soft aluminium thread has been stripped by the steel bolt.

When it came to attaching the back of the stool, I gave up on these aluminium inserts. I used large screws strategically sized and cut with an angle grinder. I just did not trust the holding power of these inserts should someone lean back heavily on the stool.

20220928_162819.jpg

I would love to see the legs you're going with.

I would love to see the legs you're not going with.

And I would love to know why. 😀

You mentioned the table top is 25mm?

You don't want wood screws?

Hi @timothyleong , the picture you attached shows the nut part way up the bolt used to drive the Insert in.

I hope that at the time you drove the Insert in, the nut was screwed down to engage the top of the insert.  That would be essential for this method to work.

As for removing it, If you get a grip (spanner) on the head of that bolt and then tighten the nut against the Insert (& washer), it should all become as one and then be able to be wound out by turning the bolt head. 

You may have to retighten the nut as it comes out, if it works loose, maybe even keep a spanner on it to keep it tight as you go.

--- I may have misinterpreted your query - is it the bolt that you wish to remove, not the Insert?

That may be as @Noyade stated, that the bolt has broke the thread. If that is the case, I would still try the method I've stated to  remove the Insert, as it won't be usable anyway if the thread has stripped.

How are you going @timothyleong? Did you try a lubricant like WD40? If you continue to have issues placing the inserts, then it would be best to look at other solutions. Your timber might be too hard for these inserts. If you provide some details on the legs you've chosen, I'm sure our helpful members will be able to suggest some alternate fixing methods.

Mitchell

Hi everyone, sorry I havent had the change to work on it recently hence the lack of updates.

So I got the Trotten table from Ikea originally. Its the manual standing desk version. I liked the table legs but wanted to get a much bigger table, a wooden finish and maybe hardwood instead of mdf as I was thinking of using monitor mounts.So I got a desk top from somewhere else.

I think most people recommended using screw inserts and I thought it would be a nice project for myself. 

@TedBearOh yes the nut was screwed all the way down when I was screwing in the insert. Yeah im trying to remove the bolt. The insert is pretty much flushed to the table top. And yeah I have given up on the aluminum inserts too.

Thanks again guys for your help. Im going to make another trip to bunnings to get more stuff before I continue.

Keep us updated @timothyleong; I'm keen to see you get this sorted.

Mitchell

Hi guys, I managed to fit the inserts. Looks like this: 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2289.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2288.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_228a.jpg

So I have 2 questions:

1) I still have one hole where I drilled too small. Can I use a step bit to enlarge the hole?

2) And also in the last picture there is a bit of a gap between the legs and the table. I think its because the inserts are not flushed enough into the table. It looks quite stable at the moment. Should I try to screw them into the table somemore?

Thanks again for all your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @timothyleong

Thank you very much for posting photos of your adjustable table project. In regards to the smaller hole that you've drilled into the table, it is still possible to drill a bigger one. I suggest measuring how deep the hole is and marking the drill bit with a bit of tape so that you don't drill past the depth of the hole. Getting the next size up in your drill bit kit should be ok, but please remember to measure the item you are putting into the bigger hole. 

In regards to the gap between the table, if the table is stable and there is no tipping in any of the corners, I propose leaving it alone. At this point, repeated disassembly and re-installation might not be good for your table's fixings.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects