Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix clear varnish gone tacky?

gapliving
Getting Established

How to fix clear varnish gone tacky?

Hi, I have been stripping stain from my dining table and stools. Successfully stripped the stain, did a light sand and good clean in preparation for using Feast Watson clear varnish (from Bunnings) for furniture. 
Applied varnish on Sunday to the stools, and they feel tacky today (Tuesday)  and not overly dry. Varnish was not applied thickly. Disappointed that the clear varnish has made the stools look darker in colour even though no tint / stain used. 
Sanding doesn’t work. Do I need to strip the varnish and start again? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix clear varnish gone tacky?

Hi @gapliving

My apologies for the late reply. I'm glad to hear that you've managed to remove the tacky varnish. Using wax such as Gilly's 200ml Clear Cabinet Makers Wax is great for showpieces, but it will never harden and must be maintained with additional coats. I suggest testing the wax on a hidden part of the table to see how the wood will react to the wax. If you get a good neutral finish then it's ok to do the rest of the table. The wax will protect the top of the table, but eventually, it will wear away and you'll need to put on another coat of wax to keep it protected. 

I'm aware you've tried using Feast & Watson varnish.  I recommend giving Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish a try. This is a water-based sealer and I recommend diluting it to its maximum allowable amount. Do not use it straight from the can as the same tacky non-drying situation will repeat itself. Test a small section underneath the table to see how it will come out and how long it will take to dry. If you're happy with the results, I suggest a minimum of two coats on the table.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the final finish on your timber appliances.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects