Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get hands-on experience with tools?

TamannaPatil
Just Starting Out

How to get hands-on experience with tools?

hi All,

This is Tami here. I am so glad to join this community and be part of it.

We are going to start constructing our home very soon and once it is completed I am planning to do some DIY projects for my home, like geometrical feature walls, coffee tables, bedside tables etc. I have so many ideas in mind to start with.

But I want to first get hands on all the tools before I start purchasing them. So are there any tools workshops that I can join or any DIY project that I can be part of??

I am currently living in Macquarie park, so any workshops near the area would be of great help.

Thanks 

Tami

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get hands-on experience with tools?

Hello @TamannaPatil, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about getting hands on experience with tools. 

I suggest starting by having a look at our step-by-step How To project guides. You can find the How To section by clicking on the menu in the top right corner of any Workshop screen. You can also use the search bar to search for simple topics. The topic "Coffee Table" alone has over a dozen project entries. By choosing a simple project you'll see the tools that are involved, and this should give you an idea of where to start and how to build your confidence.   

I recommend starting with basic tools such as a handsaw, hammer, tape measure, ruler and a pencil. Getting experience means dipping your toe into some D.I.Y. projects over the weekend. I suggest having a look at this project - Weekend project - stools that double as flowerpot holders. This is an easy project that you can put together yourself that does not involve power tools or complex steps. 

I also recommend having a look at this discussion Where to find women's DIY workshops? by @LCT915. The closest store to Macquarie Park NSW is Bunnings Gladesville. Here is a link to their in-store events. You can also speak to their activities organiser and ask if there are any adult D.I.Y classes being held at the store.

I also suggest having a look at @Tara86's inspirational story - How to build your D.I.Y. confidence

Here are some more handy links:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects