Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

SPP
Cultivating a Following

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Hi, 

I want to rip off my old MDF walls and place brand new VJ Panels onto the timber frame. 

From the videos I have seen, the timber frame needs to have a set spacing.

Can someone here explain why the timber frame needs to have set spacing. What if the spacing I have is not as per VJ Panel manufacturer specification. What can I do in this regard? 

Regards
Sree 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Hi @Dave-1 

I did have asbestos testing performed. The walls are MDF. 

What about having a chisel to take off the architraves? 

Regards
Sree

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @SPP 

Beautiful :smile: Good Christmas news :smile: The small pry bar you have would be handy for the architraves for sure, A longer one would be better to pry the mdf away. You can use a chisel no probs, Id use the chisel with a mallet and then lay the head of a claw hamer down under the chisel when leavering so it distributes the force and les slike to damage and more likely to lever it off. Keep the old arcjitraves for reference until you put them back or replace. I always mark the back of the strips with a texta so I know wheich wall they come from.

Actually envious as I think this is a good Christmas break job to start :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SPP 

I suspect that aside from nails or screws holding your wall in, adhesive might have been applied to it as well. It might also be necessary to use a hammer in combination with your demolition bar. I also suggest having a look at Fiskars Pro Isocore 2.4kg Demolition Tool. It has multiple functions integrated into the bar and has a lifetime warranty. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your renovation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL  

I will be getting a chisel to begin with and seeing how that works for me. 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

I have some updates @EricL and @Dave-1

I have managed to remove a part of a wall. Please see attached photos. 20231223_205310.jpg20231223_182642.jpg

In terms of what needs to happen from here: 

1) Keep removing the walls. 
2) Clean up all the dust/debris. 
3) Remove all nails in current studs. 
4) Get a VJ Panel from Bunnings and attempt to put it into the walls. 

What else would you suggest I do? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like you're on track @SPP.

Once you've removed the MDF panel, you can follow this guide: EasyVJ Installation. I suspect that since you appear to have rather standard stud spacing, no additional timber will be needed for the installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @SPP 

Nice work :smile: I thought thats Masonite! lol and then went and had a google, similar but a little different :smile:

Id be following the same steps as you, Id also either take a photo and add measurements to the pic or draw it up with all the measurements. Taking a pic is not work always lol (from experience and I take loads of pics) Helps out when you want to mount a painting/mirror to the wall and looking for a stud.

Definitely something fun to be doing inside these days (if you live on the East coast of Aus that is :smile: )

Dave

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Yes, before I go full monty on the demolition I will get the remaining electrical items (aircon, ceiling fan and power-points), asbestos removal. 

Then I can remove and clean all and start re-installing. I went into the store today, thankfully it doesn't seem to hard to install the panels. Maybe some simple tools like a circular saw, a nail-gun and a lot of elbow grease :smile: 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Dave-1 

Yes, a healthy set of measurements is always a good idea! 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for sharing those photos, @SPP.

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects