Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make DIY Room Dividers and a soundbooth cone of silence CV19 Working from home/home schooling

StuckAtHome
Finding My Feet

How to make DIY Room Dividers and a soundbooth cone of silence CV19 Working from home/home schooling

Hello I hope you can help. Would be most grateful. Total newbie but my dilemma will be a common one right now. Due to the state of the world right now, I am working from home and my son is doing year 12 online at home. I rent a small cottage. 

I’d like some help in knocking up a Partition  or room divider to create a sense of division between our two tables which are in separate rooms but there is no closing door.  Say about 150 -200cm high and 100 wide. I don’t have a drill but have the bits! And lots of other tools and bits and bobs. They need to be freestanding.

another question .. more curiosity.. and this is a long shot but would anyone have any ideas for creating a sound booth.? Not a small room but a one 
of those chair type things that cut out the sound. It allow supervision.Here are a few pics for reference only. Obviously all IP is reserved to owners.. A diy one would be nothing like this but just so you get the idea!

ps I’m in a rental property....

Thank you for taking th time to read this...

Sleepless in SydneyBE26F23B-7425-40C0-B157-3CA4E08AEFF2.jpeg

2C0B8BFB-9BB4-4353-921E-88F86E4429EB.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to make DIY Room Dividers and a soundbooth cone of silence CV19 Working from home/home schoo

Hi @StuckAtHome,

I'm sure plenty of our community members can empathise with your situation and will be happy to help in any way they can. Let me tag some very clever members in @ProjectPete@Brad and @Starkers_17 to see if they might like to kick off the discussion and give you some ideas about where to start. 

Welcome to Workshop. This is a friendly, welcoming and helpful place full of wonderful people. I trust you'll get helpful information, advice and inspiration for this project as well as many to come in the future. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to make DIY Room Dividers and a soundbooth cone of silence CV19 Working from home/home schoo

@StuckAtHome 

This DIY room divider looks pretty easy if you have a sewing machine. Not sure it's going to do much about sound levels, but it would also pack up easily. 

Regarding the sound booth idea, maybe just ensure your room has plenty of things that "absorb" sound? I'm thinking curtains, rugs, etc...

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I am thinking for the divider that you could make a planter box base ( on castors if you want to move it around easily ) with a lattice screen that you could grow something like devils ivy on or go with one of the fake plant walls.

Off the shelf you could also go this way, will still need a drill. https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-1800-x-900mm-planter-box-kit-for-decor-screen-panels_p3042470 

On the chair front I know a company that got a consultant in who got them egg chairs at I think 3k each, they hate them.

Bunnies have Mojo cushions that could form part of a sofa, some carpentry skills would be needed for the rest of it.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love the idea of using the Matrix panels. Great work @Brad

Hope that helps @StuckAtHome

Keep the great ideas coming everyone!

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @StuckAtHome 

Welcome to the Workshop community. I see you have already received some great suggestions from our helpful community members on a room divider. Perhaps for the sound booth, you could consider making it from plastic conduit and fittings.

MitchellMc_0-1585275948719.jpeg

Bunnings now stock a range of acoustic boards, which you could use to cover the frame and with limited access to tools. The boards could be secured with cable ties. If you wanted something that was more rigid, it may be worth looking at creating the frame from Premium Grade Dressed Pine.

You could possibly use this soundboard in conjunction with the other great ideas suggested for the room divider.

I look forward to seeing what else our helpful community members recommend for your project. If there is anything else I can be of assistance with please feel free to let me know.

Mitchell

Hi thank you so much! Taken me a while to log back in again ..my creative side getting a good try out right now ... I appreciate all the responses!

Clever! And funny about the egg chair...

ThatVoiceGuy
Finding My Feet

I'm about to start a sound booth project.

A trip to Ikea (Ivar Side Unit 500X2260 - Yes, it's going to be tall!)
A trip to my favourite Audio Store (DJ City in this case) (AVE ISOWEDGE-P Acoustic Foam Wedges)
Then Bunnings (Ply, Brad nails etc)

My only issue is that I want the booth to fold flat (well, as flat as possible) and trying to find a hinge that will provide a gap so the foam doesn't get crushed.

(they stick out about 12mm total).

Image is the idea I have (These cosy about US$400 and I'd need 2)

GIK-Acoustics-PIB-Portable-Isolation-Booth.jpg

GIK-Acoustics-PIB-Portable-Isolation-Booth.jpg

Welcome to the Workshop community @ThatVoiceGuy.

Thanks for jumping straight in and contributing to the discussion. You'll find Workshop is full of innovative community members who share their knowledge and amazing projects here every day. We would encourage you to start a new discussion for your project as I'm sure members would like to follow along. This topic is proving to be very popular at the moment and your design looks to be a great solution.

Please let me know if you need a hand with getting the most out of the site or have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects