Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount masonite on a brick wall?

rasp-tin
Finding My Feet

How to mount masonite on a brick wall?

rasp-tin_0-1593836256083.jpeg

I want to build a fire place mantle and add wainscoating on both sides.Can I counter sink concrete nails in 4.8mm 

masonite without the nails pulling through I also want to glue the masonite to the brick wall but I would like to use a glue that can be removed later down the track without damageing the bricks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mounting Masonite on a brick wall.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rasp-tin. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

You could counter-sink into 4.8mm but you would need to be very careful as there is minimal material to work with. Alternatively, would you be able to glue the masonite to the wainscoting borders and then use concrete nails to attach the border to the wall? Basically making up panels first then attaching them to the wall.

Any glue that is going to provide a decent bond will be very hard to remove in the future. The porous nature of brick will allow the glue to seep deep inside and it's not a practical solution if you wish to remove it in the future. You could potentially do away with the glue and just use the concrete nails provided you used enough of them.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,I fear if I attach the masonite to the wainscoting there will be some drumming in the masonite when touched and not

a great job.

Regards Vin. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@rasp-tin,

Could you pin the masonite to the wall with 4 evenly spaced concrete nails to hold it firmly against the bricks? You could then use a nail punch and drive the nail heads slightly beneath the surface and fill over them with Polyfilla 390g Interior Timber Filler. Another option which would be worth considering, in addition to the nails, is Scotch 2.5cm x 1. 5m Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape and running several strips behind the masonite. 

After having a look at how wainscoting it attached to brick and concrete, it appears mounting strips of timber are often used. If you were to fix several horizontal strips of Porta 40 x 8mm 1.2m Tasmanian Oak DAR Moulding to the wall with concrete nails you could then glue the masonite to them. If you fix the moulding every 30cm down the wall I believe there would be little to no drumming.

Let me mention the very knowledgable @ProjectPete to see if he could offer any advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell a couple of good ideas.

best regards.

vin.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects