Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore this dressing table?

suha
Finding My Feet

How to restore this dressing table?

C54FFD41-466D-4834-85D8-A3E212463B54.jpeg

A02F46C3-4480-4DB3-9B56-F47C5480F101.jpeg

 hi, how can I fix the paint for my dressing table? As you can see in the pictures there’s many different colour spots 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore this dressing table?

Hello @suha

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to restore your dressing table.

What a beautiful-looking dressing table. I can already imagine what it will look like once it is restored. Are you planning to upcycle this dresser or keep its original finish? Our first step is to remove the handles and check the cabinet for integrity. Are the drawers still in good condition? Is the overall frame of the cabinet still firm? If any repairs need to be made to the dresser it will have to be done before we begin the restoration work.

If the cabinet is in good condition, we need an area where we can sand the cabinet where it will be safe from the elements. I suggest using an Ozito 200W Detail Sander. It has multiple sanding pads for furniture restoration. Once the dresser has been sanded, wipe it down with a clean cloth and use a vacuum to suck any remaining sawdust. I recommend using the UNi-PRO 18 x 36" Painters Tack Cloth for the final clean.

Before choosing a finish for your dresser I suggest going to your local store to look at the varnish display in the paint department. There you will see the different finishes and stains that are on offer. A good example of a stain and varnish is Cabot's 1L Walnut Satin Water Based Stain And Varnish. It is a water-based varnish giving you a much faster drying time and easy cleanup. Please remember to test the varnish in a small hidden area of your dresser to see if are agreeable with it. It sounds like a fantastic project, we would love to see any updates you can provide while restoring the dresser.

Here is a link to a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Upcycled painted buffet by @craftyhopper

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
suha
Finding My Feet

Hey, thank you so much for your help but I just wanted to ask, if I wanted to change the colour of the dressing table, do I only have to change the colour of the varnish? 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

You can get different levels of gloss as well as pre-tinted colours and the paint desk can also tint a larger range of colours.

I would sand first to see if those light spots will blend in before deciding on a finish. Light stains can have problems covering differences in colour that darker stains may cover more easily. Prooftint can be used to help cover problem areas before applying varnish.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @suha

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Brad. His suggestions are spot on and I totally agree with his recommendations. If your timber is light coloured you can stain and varnish it to a darker colour. However, if the timber is already naturally dark you can't use a varnish to make the timber lighter. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

suha
Finding My Feet

8DD5A60C-0420-4581-AC55-B7F5D15A8016.jpeg

 thank you for your help, I’ve sanded a corner of the dressing table and this is the original colour of it, do u reckon I can use a light coloured varnish, if yes what colour do you recommend? 
thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @suha

Thank you for the update and for showing us the actual timber colour of the dresser. I suggest testing Cabot's 1L Water Based Gloss Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. This is actually a clear varnish, but as you know timber reacts in its own manner when it becomes wet. I suggest visiting your local store and look at the varnish display board in the paint department. I recommend water-based varnish as it does not turn yellow like oil-based varnish. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

suha
Finding My Feet

52D3CD42-B6A8-481F-8670-7225924CC900.jpeg

 I want the same colour as this table , are you able to tell me the name of it and motion the link and how many liters do u think I roughly need for do 2 bedsides, a queen bed and the dressing table 

thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @suha

I'm so sorry, but it is difficult to tell the actual finish of the varnish on your photo. If I were to hazard a guess, it looks like Cabot's 1L Walnut Satin Water Based Stain And Varnish that has been watered down to remove the dark finish on it. A stain could also have been used on this table before it was sealed. I have placed a picture of the stain sample board from the store for you to compare. I suggest a minimum of 1 liter to cover both cabinets. Please keep us updated. 

If you need more assistance, please let us know.

Eric

suha
Finding My Feet

DD58612E-52C0-4ADC-9FE5-487C76B0DB56.jpeg

 hi, thank you so much for your help .

I liked the dark chocolate colour can you please send me the link for it also I want to make sure when I ordered the Ozito 200W sander does it come with the sand papers? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects