Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore this dressing table?

suha
Finding My Feet

How to restore this dressing table?

C54FFD41-466D-4834-85D8-A3E212463B54.jpeg

A02F46C3-4480-4DB3-9B56-F47C5480F101.jpeg

 hi, how can I fix the paint for my dressing table? As you can see in the pictures there’s many different colour spots 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore this dressing table?

Hi @suha,

The Deep chocolate colour is tinted in-store by our team from a tint base. It's available in both Cabot's 250ml Satin Water Based Tint Base Stain And Varnish and Cabot's 4L Satin Tint Base Water Based Stain And Varnish. Unfortunately, the one-litre version does not appear on our web page, which could be due to low stock of the item. You might like to phone your local store to ensure it's available. We do have the gloss version one-litre in stock.

Both our Ozito 200w sanders come with sanding sheets included.

Please let me know if you have questions or need assistance contacting your local store.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

1824EC18-B98C-4560-86E0-3DA45FF9117C.jpeg

 hi, as you can see in the picture above, the bed has many deep lines and details. Is there a special type of sander that is able to reach them besides the ozito, I already have that and it doesn’t do the job. Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Unfortunately, that looks like a hand sanding job to me, @suha

I'd suggest folding a sheet of sandpaper a few times to build up its thickness and run it along those channels. If you're using a similar colour, you might not need to remove it all back down to raw timber.

There is possibly a small sanding attachment that would do the job with a rotary tool. However, you'll quickly start sanding the edges of the channel away as well, and the lines will end up looking wonky and not crisp anymore.

All I could really suggest is a few hours and some elbow grease. Let me mention @TedBear, @r23on, and @JoeAzza to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

I hope you have plenty of time as this will take some time to sand back. Not all restorations need lots of tooling etc it takes a bit of thinking outside of the box.

A point to  be aware of never sand the out side of the unit you want to work on, find a place where no one will see what testing you have done for colours etc. once you sand the out side your are committed to that process.

“However” there is a method that will strip it all back in no time, your going to need a sand blasting set up, but you do not use sand or glass bead you use bicarb soda (baking soda) and it will give you a perfect job. No damage to the base material.

here is a cheap and easy method (home made)  in video 1 and I am sure you good people at bunnings can provide something like the second video.

The blaster can be obtained from Amazon. Most of all there are no chemicals no hard work sanding plus baking soda is safe for the environment  

I have completed some research as to where you could a system $50 from supercheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGf60SUSL5E 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwl-`

r23on_0-1630194842427.jpeg

Hi @suha, I just came across this post from a couple of years ago and wondered how you went with your project? I have the exact bedroom suite and also want to change the stain colour. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects