Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Industrial inspired desk

moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Industrial inspired desk

0C7CE1CA-F4C4-4002-863B-8524C5961E55.jpeg

  

A friend gifted me a large piece of Jarrah he rescued from a skip. It had seen better days (unfortunately I didn’t take any before pics) but after a few days of sanding to get the very thick layer of varnish off it came up beautiful. I put a black stain on the then sanded it back down just so the grain had the stain in it then sealed it with wax. I used threaded galvanised pipe for the legs painted in Matt black and brass fittings polished. I turned it into a coffee table then after a while I got joiners and extended the legs and now it’s my office desk. 

091D8A83-2345-4FD2-A6D3-C3394B8D0A62.jpeg

B1E5E702-4EE2-40C9-A7AC-40C93B0CDF7F.jpeg

93406B77-4664-4352-8E25-38267A8651F4.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Industrial inspired desk

Love your work @moodybyname78. What beautiful timber! I'm so glad it got rescued and put to such good use. 

Any tips for other Workshop users when sanding? It sounds like you invested plenty of time in the process, but the result was well worth it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Re: Industrial inspired desk

@Jason yes a lot of time did go into sanding it. Best advice I can give is to be prepared and be patient. The varnish was very thick and old. Stripper wasn’t budging it and the orbital was taking a very long time. I opted to get a sanding backing pad for my grinder and got some serious grit paper. And it made light work of the varnish. Definitely do not recommend for delicate items ha ha ha. Then I bought out the orbital again and finished it off.. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects