Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to resaw a 200x50mm board to make 2 200x25?

diego
Finding My Feet

Is it possible to resaw a 200x50mm board to make 2 200x25?

so for a bit of contxt, ive been designing a desk for myself but when it came time to buy the materials i couldnt find a full size plyboard that was either within my price range and that fitted my size, what i did find was a couple of recycled  200x50mm boards that are in my price range, but the thickness is a bit mych and it would be more efficient to divide them and make more planks, but i dont know if there is a thickness that it need to be to be able to cut it or if its too thin.image_2024-02-14_094723993.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it possible to resaw a 200x50mm board to make 2 200x25?

Hello @diego 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your desk building project.

If the 200x50 timber is not treated, then it would be possible to cut them. However, if it is treated timber, I don't recommend cutting it or using it for your table. Can you please tell us more about your desk building project. What timber sizes did you use? What is the overall size of the frame? How big a tabletop are you aiming for? 

I only ask these questions as there has been a great deal of work and student desks that have been built with standard timber panels. For example, the Specrite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel is a classic example of a panel that can be used for a table.

Here are some amazing tables our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diego
Finding My Feet

Hi eric, im gonna be using untreated 200x50 pines with the aim of making two tabletops for an l shaped desk, one being 1500x500mm and the other being 1500x400, both 25mm thick, this on a 1460x1800mm frame for which im making it out of 45x90mm cutsimage_2024-02-15_101042054.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @diego 

Thanks for sharing that extra information about the timber pieces you're using. If you have access to a table saw with a large blade, you'll be able to neatly cut that 200x50 on the thin side giving you 200x25.

As an alternative, I also suggest checking out your local Men's Shed to find out if they might have the machine you need to cut your large piece of timber.  

It is possible to cut the timber with a manual saw, but it will take a long while and the final result might not be straight.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @JoeAzza and @DIY4Knuckleheds for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

As Eric mentioned, you could use a table saw but it would need to be a big machine with a big blade to do it. Most regular portable table saws like most of us have will cut up to a max depth of approx 85-90mm which means that even if you run the board through the saw on both sides it will still be about 25mm shy of being cut all the way through. 

The idea from Eric of contacting your local mens shed is a great idea...good luck with it 👍

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Eveing @diego 

Nice table design :smile: and think It will look pretty sweet when you finish it.

Thats a decent sized blade you will need to use to cut that perfectly straight, and cutting half then flipping is problematic :smile: (Ive been modding a table into a small snooker table and tring to get cuts to line up without a table saw... shaking my head)

Also it wont be 25mm thick, it will be less and possibly two different lesses depending on your equipment and yourself. If you dont have a saw that can cut to that depth you could always cut the 200mm down the center and then half again so you end up with (from the 200 by 50mm) 2 of 100mm by 50mm and then 4 of 100mm by the 25mm you want. I like @EricL 's idea of a mens shed if you dont have acess to a cutting saw (maybe you have one at work? :smile:

Do you have access to a plainer? Because that would work with slightly uneven cuts.

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @diego

may I suggest an alternative, is to use a band saw to cut the timber into two.

as @Dave-1  said you would lose the thickness of the blade, reducing the timber thickness, maybe the Mens shed can assist you as @EricL 

suggested.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects