Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pullup bar and climbing board

dwerer
Getting Established

Pullup bar and climbing board

Hi all,

image.pngThis is my first time using community. Pleasure to meet everyone in this community.

I'm currently working on a project to mount a hang board onto a pull-up bar. A bit of back ground, a hang board is a tool that helps with the grip/finger strength and usually used to train for bouldering. It is usually drilled into walls as shown in the photo. However, as I am currently renting, I am unable to drill holes into the walls.

The below link is the board that I have. Dimensions are 610mm by 157mm.

https://www.climbinganchors.com.au/metolius-wood-grips-compact-board-ii?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsAD...

As a result, I currently have two options that I am considering for this project.

Option 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0BoRIY6BU)

In this video, it uses ropes to hold the hang board under the pull-up bar. It's fairly straight forward to prepare this. I think for the rope, Grunt 8mm x 170m White Super Silver Rope is a good choice (probably need around 4m -5m) as it will be able to support my weight (70-80kg).

I also plan to buy Norton Bear 50mm x 4.5m Black cloth tape to prevent damages on the door frame, and plywood to screw my hang board into.

For this method, I think the main advantage is that it will put less stress onto the door ledge (relative to the 2nd option) as the weight will be directly under the pull up bar.

The disadvantage I can think of is that i'll have to install this equipment everytime I put up the pull up bar.

Option 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMDa13-zig)

The concept for this option is similar to the previous option but rather than using ropes, this option attaches the plywood into the handles of the pullup bar. 

For this, i'll be using a galvanized 15mm flange and 15mm x 100mm nipple pipe and connecting this with the ply wood and pull-up bar.

The benefit I can think of this method is that I don't have to install both but only have to hook the pullup bar and it's ready for use. 

The main concern about this is since the downward force of my body weight is applied somewhat further away from the center, I'm worried that it might be putting a lot of pressure on the plywood or the door ledge.

My questions are,

1. What kind of plywood is required? I think structural plywood should be sufficient but there's a lot of options (marine, form, grade AA). Not entirely sure what the differences are and what to get. I have to consider a relatively light option and at the same time strong material.

2. How much ply do I need? The screws that came with the hangboard is 3.5cm to 4cm. So I think I should get something around 4cm thick to cover the screws and 60cm long and 17cm tall.

3. How heavy are ply woods? I can't really find the specs in Bunnings website or anywhere. I've heard every m^3 is around 600kg. Not sure if this is reliable data.

4. Which option is the better/safer option? Is there anything else that I will need to consider for the two options. 

Thank you in advance.

-Gavin

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pullup bar and climbing board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dwerer. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to seeing what you can achieve with this project. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with something or have something to share. We have a wonderful community here of clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and really inspiring projects every day. 

Let me tag a few members to see if they might like to kick off the discussion and share their thoughts on how they might tackle the project. @Brad, @ProjectPete, @LePallet, @JDE

I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist with timber selection when he is back on the site tomorrow. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dwerer
Getting Established

Thank you Jason.

Hope to hear from the members soon!

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dwerer. Many thanks for your questions I'd be happy to give you some advice.

Structural plywood would be sufficient and I would personally use AA grade as it has minimal defects. Please note, in the video, they are using pine timber board and not plywood, though I believe either would work. I would advise using 185 x 30mm 1.2m Standard And Better Pine- DAR and having it cut down to the correct length. You could use a 19mm thick pine board, which is what they are using in the video, but my preference for longevity would be 30mm. Weight wise the board would only be around 2-3kgs so fairly inconsequential when talking about the overall weight on the door frame.

The rope sling version would most likely be the safer option as it doesn't bring the board further out from the frame adding additional strain on the hanging mechanism.

If you have further question or need advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

dwerer
Getting Established

Thank you MitchellMC.

Can you clarify the difference between plywoods please? I tried searching on the web but was unable to find a concrete answer to it. I see Bunning has form, marine and AA grade, and i'm not sure what the difference between these are

Thank you in advance.

-Gavin 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dwerer,

I'd be more than happy to explain the difference. 

• Formply is some-what water-resistant, is of good quality construction and has a resin impregnated coating on both sides. It is generally used in the industry for creating formwork which concrete is poured into. The resin coating allows it to be removed easily from the concrete once set.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
  • Marine grade AA is suitable for exposure to moisture and is generally used in exterior applications, it is also of high-quality construction and finishes with no knots or defects.                                                                           
  • Premium grade BC is not suitable for exposure to moisture, is of good quality and construction with minimal knots and defects.

For your application Premium grade BC plywood would be sufficient.

Micthell

dwerer
Getting Established

Thank you for the reply.

In your opinion, would you prefer the first option or the second one?

I feel the 1st one would be putting a lot of pressure on the door and pullup bar.

Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dwerer,

In the second version, the board is out away from the door frame and at the tips of the pull-up frame. The further out you weight is the more force it applies. In the first option, the weight is directly under the frame against the door and I believe this is less force on the door frame and pull-up frame. Functionally, I prefer the second option though as it is a much neater system.

Mitchell

dwerer
Getting Established

Thank you for the quick reply Mitchell. 

Just in case, Is there a type of rope you would recommend for option 1? Is the rope I have mentioned sufficient?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I believe Grunt 10mm x 10m High Strength Rope might be a better option for this application @dwerer. You'll find the 8mm might stretch a bit too much.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects