Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recessed TV feature wall with easyVJ panels

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Recessed TV feature wall with easyVJ panels

At my wife's request I got to work on this recessed TV feature wall in our living room and we're so happy with how it turned out 😁 Would love to hear what you think! It may come as a surprise but this isn't out of reach for the average DIYer so don't be scared to give this one a go

Panels - Easycraft easyVJ panels. Made-to-order with 63mm spacing.

Paint - Dulux Lexicon Quarter

Timber shelves - French Oak to match TV unit

Screenshot_20210308-141740_Instagram.jpg  Screenshot_20210308-141757_Instagram.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Padma
Getting Established

Re: Recessed TV feature wall with easyVJ panels

@ProjectPete 

I am absolutely blown away by your creativity and skill! Do you work in the field or was this project just a passionate hobby build? I have always been interested in these skills but never had the guts to attempt but by registering for these alerts I am finding inspiration and maybe even confidence to attempt something like this. 

Thank you all so much for sharing. 

Regards, André. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community André (@Padma). It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @ProjectPete, as I'm sure he will appreciate your kind comments about his project. 

We look forward to you attempting your first project and providing as much assistance as we can with it. Everyone within this community has failed or run into hurdles with a project many times before. I would be utterly surprised if anyone could honestly say that they never had difficulties. In fact, I'm surprised when completing a project I don't have multiple hurdles to overcome, it's just part of D.I.Y..

We'd encourage you to start a discussion and let us know about your plans around the house and garden. Our helpful members will be more than happy to provide some guidance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Padma
Getting Established

Wow, I know this sounds very cynical but I'm waiting for the pun! 

I'm so shocked with the supportive manner and comments on here, I'm really blown away. 

Thanks heaps Mitch, I'm heading over to Bunnings in the next five minutes. 

I sincerely appreciate the support.  

André 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's our pleasure to assist André (@Padma). I'll be on Workshop over the weekend, so please reach out if you need a hand or any moral support.

Mitchell

Shelley55
Getting Established

@ProjectPete 

Hi I love what you have done in your living room :smile: Just a question an about to attempt doping a number of walls in VJ by myself, how did you finish off the external corner?  It looks very clean and I have to do the same on several on my walls.  Thanks Shelley

You can finish the panel flush with the wall and apply a flexible gap filler (usually a fee time to get it spot on) but there's still the rusk of cracking over time.

So an alternative is to us a 20x12x1.4mm length of aluminium angle trim. Gives you a perfectly straight line finish and covers the join/gap to hide any potential future cracking/movement. Spray it with Etch Primer first, stick it with Selleys Hold Up and paint it the same colour as your VJ.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks Pete that is a great help ... really appreciate the quick reply x

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ProjectPete 

Thank you very much for sharing that extra information on an alternative on finishing off an external corner. Using aluminium in the corners will provide a much better defence against accidental bumps and hits.  

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shelley55

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @ProjectPete. Please don't forget to post an update on your project once you have your EasyVJ panels up. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the transformation.  

Eric

ryandp
Just Starting Out

Hi, great stuff this. How did you attach the aluminium angle?

thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects