Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoring a tallboy

SimoneS
Finding My Feet

Restoring a tallboy

Hi Bunnings community

Id really love your help on my first diy project. Unfortunately due to lockdown we can’t go into store and seek advice from the trusted Bunnings crew :unhappy: 

I bought a lovely second hand wooden tall boy with the intention of giving it the two tone Hampton’s style look with the exposed timber top and white draws with coved handles.

Im starting to compile a list of things I need to buy from Bunnings. First thing I know I want white paint with good coverage. Any recommendations? Preferably something that doesn’t require too many coats.

Also for the paint brush, can you recommend a brand and style of paint brush and roller to use to achieve a smooth finish?

id appreciate any advice to help me on my first project :smile: 

Thank you

Simone  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restoring a tallboy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SimoneS. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on upcycling your tallboy.

You might like to post some images of the unit so our members can provide some advice specific to it.

I normally stick with the water-based Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint, but you might get better coverage using the oil-based Dulux 1L Super Enamel Paint High Gloss White. The water-based is easier to work with and clean up, but the oil-based will give you a harder finish. The oil-based will take longer to dry and can be a little smelly, hence my preference for water-based.

I'd recommend a good quality synthetic brush for enamel paints like the UNi-PRO 63mm You Can Do It Gloss And Satin Brush. Roller wise, I'd suggest a UNi-PRO 100mm You Can Do It Gloss And Low Sheen Mini Roller Kit 9mm Nap. You'll likely get the best finish by applying the paint with the roller and following quickly behind with the brush, and laying the paint off. You'll want to do this in sections. Roll out a section and then use the brush to go back over the area with consistent and light downward strokes. This smooths the paint out and gives a great finish.

Was this unit varnished, and were you planning on sanding the varnish back so the paint can adhere properly? If you're not keen on sanding the varnish back, instead, you can do a light sand and use Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White. This primer is fantastic for glossy and tough-to-paint surfaces that typically resist coatings.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint and upcycle your old chest of drawers.

I look forward to seeing some images of the tallboy and following along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects