Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rustic fireplace corner

lefthander07
Growing in Experience

Rustic fireplace corner

I've converted a shelfing nook in my living room and turn it into a fireplace corner. 

Bought a resale electric heater. Painted it. Used recycled fence palings to install the walls of the nook and build some shelves around a used flue I've found. That was a big bonus!

Vision was completed with some accessorising. This cosy fireplace really fitted so well with our rustic farmhouse theme and often comes up in our conversation especially when we put up the heater. Many of our friends still thought this was a real fireplace. Haha..

Enclosed before and after photo.

PhotoGrid_1657440129663.jpg

Steps

Step 1

1. Bought a used electric heater. It has dancing flames effect too when turned on. Safety was a consideration to use real fireplace so went for electric.

Step 2

2. Installed framing for recycled fence palings as wall backing to wrap around the nook.

Step 3

3. Got recycled flue. Cut to size as free standing centrepiece. It was my proudest find as I wanted light to get through the shelves (there was an existing light).

Step 4

4. Made shelves from recycled timber

Step 5

5. Accessorising- black vinyl mat, fireplace shield and tools for aesthetics.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cosy fireplace

Hello @lefthander07 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your cosy fireplace project.

At first glance I thought it was a real fireplace! But after reading the details of your post, I'm amazed that you've managed to give it such a convincing realistic look. Your artificial chimney was the item that made me think twice. I was really intrigued by the downlight and thought that it was a reflection off the stainless-steel flue. 

Can you please tell me what you used for the chimney? The chimney sweeper and the shovel were a very nice touch. The fireplace guard not only adds safety but lends realism to the setup. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a clever project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lefthander07
Growing in Experience

Re: Cosy fireplace

Thank you for your kind comments. 😊

The chimney is a flue someone wanted to get rid of. I had to cut to size, sand it and spray painted it. Left it freestanding on the base timber of my fireplace. 

All my shelves, flue and fireplace are removable if I needed to. I've deliberately made it that way and allowed access to the mains behind the fireplace. 

To turn on the fireplace, I just need to drop one of my picture frame and reach my arm down behind the base timber. And walah! That nook has become my fav spot and it warms my heart already just looking at it without turning on the heater. Haha..

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Rustic fireplace corner

Hi @lefthander07,

Your vision has really come to life! I love how you upcycled so many elements and made that space warm and cozy. Well done. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects