Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should we use nailer or 3M hanging strips to make a slatwall?

far213
Growing in Experience

Should we use nailer or 3M hanging strips to make a slatwall?

6DAB0FFF-8A48-40ED-A48B-8FCB52D83511.jpeg

We like to make a slat wall as a feature wall like the photo I attached. We are not sure if it’s better to use a nailer or just use  3M hanging strips. It sounds like the strips can hold weights higher than the weight of those wooden boards. And i read they damage the wall less and i guess they should be easier for  DiY. I appreciate it if you share your idea and experience with me. Thank you.

far213
Growing in Experience

Re: use nailer or 3M hanging strips to make a slatwall

Thanks Red for the great response. It will be a permanent feature so we decided to do what you suggested. Using a liquid nail plus mechanical nails. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @far213,

Selleys 320g Liquid Nails Original Construction Adhesive would be a suitable glue. A bradder nail gun is what you are looking for as it drives smaller pin-shaped nails used in this type of work.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sweethome
Just Starting Out

Re: Should we use nailer or 3M hanging strips to make a slatwall?

Hi @far213 @I’m also planning to make slat wall but really have no idea what material used for timber, is that porta timber?

Re: Should we use nailer or 3M hanging strips to make a slatwall?

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community @Sweethome. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about timber selection.

There are many styles and profiles of timber that you can use to create a feature wall. If you wish to create a feature wall similar to the one in this discussion, then it appears as if they have used something close to a 30 x 30mm square profile. A similar effect could be achieved with Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak DAR Moulding. We also have the Porta Contours range with some exciting profiles.

Any square or rectangular trim timber can be used to create a slat wall, and Porta supplies ours.

We look forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Interesting that you have gone with nails and glue after wanting a temporary solution with command strips.

Using glue will mean that if you ever want to remove the slatwall it would destroy the slatwall and also the plasterboard behind it. Another solution would be to screw fix into the wall studs (you would mark these before starting) using appropriately coloured screws and in the valleys of the slatwall, which would then be touched up with paint.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects