Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sofa slipcover transformation

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Sofa slipcover transformation

A few years ago we bought two second hand sofas from the Facebook Marketplace, fast forward to today and they were in desperate need of something! It was either throw them or save them ... somehow. I decided on the latter. Using drop sheet canvas fabric from Aldi, I had previously used the Bunnings drop sheets on my outdoor white painted wicker cushions and they were amazing, I made removable, washable and beautiful slipcovers that transformed my two sad little sacks into two updated and modern stunners. With some of the leftover fabric I also made a tasseled throw cushion and stenciled on a cute quote with acrylic paint which is the icing on the cake, or in this case sofa :smile:

Materials

Drop sheet canvas from Aldi but I have also used the Expertech Drop sheets from Bunnings >> https://www.bunnings.com.au/brands/m/monarch-expertech

Sewing cotton white or beige

Acrylic paint

Vinyl for the stencil

Tools

Sewing machine

Scissors

Cricut explore 3

Steps

Step 1

After procrastinating for months and giving it a lot of thought as to how to tackle the project, I decided the safest bet would be to make a pattern for the sofa. I noticed there were distinct panels so I decided to measure these and go from there.

I measured each panel on the couch to create a pattern for the project.I measured each panel on the couch to create a pattern for the project.

Step 2

At this point I was optimistic and really pleased with the pattern.At this point I was optimistic and really pleased with the pattern.

I used old fabric to make a pattern so I could pin it onto the couch before I cut into the drop sheets. It will also be useful and much quicker in the future when I make more covers. I was really pleased with the fit.

Step 3

Then it was time pin my pattern onto the drop sheet fabric and cut it out. I had added the seam allowance into the pattern so I didn't have to worry about that here.

Cutting the fabric in preparation for sewing.Cutting the fabric in preparation for sewing.

Step 4

I decided it would be safer to pin the pieces on the couch to make sure the fit was correct before sewing each piece together. But first I zigzagged each piece as this drop sheet canvas frays really easily. Then I sewed them altogether to form the slipcover.

I pinned the pieces in place on the sofa before sewing them together.I pinned the pieces in place on the sofa before sewing them together.

Step 5

I sewed the cushion covers and placed a zip in the back. Essentially it's just one big bag and when the cushion is inserted I just tuck the ends in to create a neat edge. It's my lazy version of a box cushion cover and is also perfect for beginners. 

My bag cushion cover is the easiest ever. I tuck the ends in to create a neat edge.My bag cushion cover is the easiest ever. I tuck the ends in to create a neat edge.

Step 6

The last step was to hem the bottom of the cover.The last step was to hem the bottom of the cover.

The bottom was a bit uneven because when I made the pattern, I didn't really care it the bottom edges lined up, I knew that would be an easy fix and the least of my problems. Here I just neatened up the edge and made a 2cm hem along the bottom of the cover.

Step 7

I also made a throw cushion with some of the leftover canvas, I used tassels to make it cuter and I made a stencil using the cricut machine and normal acrylic paint to paint it on. I have washed and bleached another cushion that had the normal artists acrylic paint, not actual fabric paint, and it stays on perfectly.

The stencil I made to use to decorate my lil cushion.The stencil I made to use to decorate my lil cushion.

Step 8

My lil drop sheet canvas cushion.My lil drop sheet canvas cushion.

This is the cushion after I sewed and stenciled it and I just love it. The tassels were actually in the Kmart party section, they're cotton and quite large, really great value.

Step 9

The whole slipcover is all in one and removable to throw in the wash and clean. This fabric can also be bleached to remove any stains. 

The cover is easily removable for washing and even bleaching if necessary so we can enjoy it without being precious about it.The cover is easily removable for washing and even bleaching if necessary so we can enjoy it without being precious about it.

Step 10

Now we have an updated, modern and practical sofa that we just love. Now to cover the other one...oh boy!Now we have an updated, modern and practical sofa that we just love. Now to cover the other one...oh boy!

The final result and we couldn't be happier. It looks so lovely and has updated our lounge space for around $21 and it's like we have a new sofa but one that we can use without fear of ruining it. It can easily be cleaned and ultimately even replaced now I have the pattern for it!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Sofa slipcover transformation

Great result @daniknight4!

Many thanks for sharing this project with the community, inspiring people and providing plenty of detail so that they can have a go themselves.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects