Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spool coffee table

Winnie10
Building a Reputation

Spool coffee table

EDF94CC0-C12D-4A9D-BB3C-7450A74F7558.jpeg

I made this coffee table out of a spool.

It was a lot of work but I’m so happy with how it turned out.

B2836EBD-F111-4F52-9065-554D76794E54.jpeg

631F153C-00E3-491C-A1EA-E187E188589C.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: spool/coffee table

Hello @Winnie10

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your beautiful spool coffee table.

What an excellent use of the wire spool. What size of timber did you choose to surround the spool? How did you manage to cut the timber rods perfectly in the middle? What kind of glue did you use to stick them onto the spool. I'm so sorry for the many questions. I'm sure our members would love to know the steps you took to build this coffee table. Any tips or advice you can give about building this project would be much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Winnie10
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

im not sure on the size of the wood but I used the large half rounded dowels. I took the mental rods out I then cut out pieces of wood to fill the holes. The middle of the spool I cut down as it was to high for a coffee table. I used selleys liquid nails strong hold for the middle insert of the spool to hold it in place top & bottom then added brackets on both ends inside for a firm hold. I applied the dowels using the same ( liquid nails). There was a lot of sanding ( to wear I gained muscles) wood filler as I had to use a nailer to hammer all the staples in also used wood filler around the top of the dowels as a spool is not perfectly round. Tip is to get the first dowel straight and it’s all good from there 😜 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Winnie10

Thank you so much for sharing the materials and steps you took to make this beautiful table. If you have any other projects on the go, please make sure to keep us updated. 

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects