Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled meat safe

Oddchair22
Building a Reputation

Upcycled meat safe

I love old meatsafe pieces and better still I like to keep them as original as I can. I have refurbished a few and most I have painted however this grand old lady still had lovely wood and I decided to just sand it all back to its original state and preserve the character.

The top was badly cracked cedar so we made a new top using pine and a router to sculpt the edging.

The metal grid I kept and applied hemp oil to rejuvenate it and bring it back to life.

The interior I kept natural, cleaned using sugar soap and once dry applied several coats of Pureco Hemp oil.

Once I sanded the exterior using 240 grit with orbital sander I cleaned all the residue from sanding and then made up a mineral paint wash using Vintage Bird Mineral furniture paint in the colours Cookie Dough and Sea Shell in a ration of 1 cup paint to 500ml water mixed the solution and then used a sponge to apply in even strokes. I Cookie Dough and Seashell are very warm beige and whites and find a combination of these colours will tone down any orange tones from the Timber. Once dry I sealed using a clear liquid furniture wax.

I added a simple wooden knob which I sanded back and stained in my paint wash and sealed with wax also.IMG_3629.jpegIMG_3631.jpegIMG_3630.jpegIMG_3633.jpegIMG_3635.jpegIMG_3660.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Upcycled meat safe

Looks terrific @Oddchair22. Well done and many thanks for sharing. I'm sure your work will inspire other community members.

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Oddchair22
Building a Reputation

Thank you @Jason for your lovely comments, I’m currently working on several very exciting projects which I will post when completed ☺️

Great, looking forward to seeing them @Oddchair22.

Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects