Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled side table using chalk paint

diycollection
Building a Reputation

Upcycled side table using chalk paint

I gave this side table a new life, by giving it a much needed clean and sand. I painted it in a white chalk paint, leaving the top of the table, drawer and cupboard as natural wood, I finished those areas with white wax to give it a white-wash finish. I spray painted the pulls black to give a sharp contrast to the white wash and bare wood. I also lined the drawer and shelf in the cupboard with vinyl adhesive to give the piece a clean and fresh look. 

9543C97D-FBF4-4CDC-8A76-CF9242EF55DF.jpeg

Before: 

798EC507-6D04-48A2-8C1D-D33ED690D6C4.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to upcycle an old piece of furniture

Hello @diycollection

What a beautiful upcycle project, I'm a big fan of raw timber displays. The door and drawer front really stand out for me. It gives such a natural feel that it can fit into almost any home. A definite improvement from its old brown lacquered finish. What was the wax brand you used on the timber door and drawer? Will you need to re-wax it after a few months or is a single application good for a year or two? 

Thank you for sharing your beautiful upcycle project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Upcycled side table using chalk paint

Great project @diycollection, many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire other members of the Bunnings Workshop community.

We're really pleased to have you join us. It seems you have a lot of experience and creativity to share with the community. We trust you will get plenty of great ideas and helpful advice in return. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever have feedback on how we can make Workshop even more useful to you. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mickviller
Getting Established

Re: Upcycled side table using chalk paint

Simple but elegant, awesome 👏 

diycollection
Building a Reputation

Re: How to upcycle an old piece of furniture

Hi Eric, thanks very much for your message! It took a lot of work to get the timber back to its raw state, but was so worth it in the end - I love the results too. As for the wax, I used Annie Sloan white wax. I would recommend waxing the top of the unit a couple times a year if it’s being used to place various objects on it (especially if it’s being used as a bedside table). However, the drawer and cupboard door may not need to be waxed as often.

I hope that helps! Thanks again, Emily

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects