Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What top coat for upcycled painted tallboy?

markw81
Just Starting Out

What top coat for upcycled painted tallboy?

I’ve just upcycled my first project - a solid pine tallboy I found on the council pickup pile.  
I used a shellac based primer / stain blocker, 3 coats of a Porters Eggshell finish paint and that’s it.   But I’m wandering what / if any top coat we would need to protect it?   Do we use a polyurethane varnish or even Beeswax?  

IMG_3965.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: top coat / protector for upcycled painted tallboy

Hello @markw81 

What a beautifully revamped tallboy, the colour you've chosen is just gorgeous! If I recall correctly Porters provides a tough finish as it is rated for outdoor use as well. Personally, I don't think it is necessary to put a wax or sealing coat on it because of its durability.

However, I'll give our supplier a call and make some inquiries for you. As soon as I have more information, I'll let you know.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What top coat for upcycled painted tallboy?

Hi @markw81,

You can use the Dulux 1L Design Clear Top Coat ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠for a layer of added protection, or alternatively, you could wax the surface. Just bear in mind that the clearcoat is going to affect the eggshell effect, which will be lost. Waxing would likely retain more of the look; you just won't be able to place things like a hot coffee cup on the surface.

The other option is to leave it as is and use protectors under any rough items placed on the surface. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects