Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood bleed??

TashT
Getting Established

Wood bleed??

Hi all, I’m new to this whole painting thing, so am guessing it’s something I’ve done, or haven’t done!

So I sanded these 2 bedside tables, cleaned and dried them. The paint I used said there wasn’t any need to prime, so I didn’t. After the first coat dried there are some brown marks showing through, it looks like the wood staining through. I’m not sure if I’m using the correct terminology here or if I made it up :smile:

So I slapped on another coat of paint, and same thing.

Question is...do I need to sand it back to the wood, then put a primer on and start from scratch? Help!! Thank you.

F7DDAD1E-77A7-45C1-9325-AC821037DA08.jpeg

C727E58B-9966-43E4-92CB-F1484DCC7088.jpeg

3ABB2BB2-720D-4BEA-A22B-530EAD9907C1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood bleed??

Hi @TashT,

It's great to see you make your first post and many thanks for your question.

What you are seeing bleed through is the stain used on the furniture. I note in the instructions they mention to lightly sand. That would indicate they don't want to break the varnish coating exposing the interior stain.

I wouldn't sand it all off, but applying a coat of Rust-oleum 1l Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker would certainly block the stain at that level. You could then apply a final coat of the chalked paint over that.

I would also have a chat with our paint experts instore, explain to them you followed the directions which indicated no primer was required and the stain is bleeding through. I'd be more than happy to have a chat with the store you purchased the product from to get their opinion on the circumstance. I'll reach out via private message to get some additional details from you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TashT
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much.

I actually have the Rustoleum spray primer, could I use that? DoI just lightly sand all over, put the primer on, then paint as usual? Or primer straight over what I have done, then paint?

Cheers 😀

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @TashT 

Primer by itself will not prevent the stain from travelling up the paint. You need a primer with a sealer and stain blocker. This gives it a non mixing medium that the stain cant mix with, thus preventing bleed through. Do a light sand and use the stain blocker primer that should do the trick.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

TashT
Getting Established

Hey Red,

Cheers for that :smile:

After the sealer has dried, I do another coat?

So much to learn!

:smile:

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @TashT 

Doing a second coat is preventive but not a fixed rule. Sometimes 1 coat is enough then use your chalk paint as instructed with 2 coats. You should then get the effect your going for without the stain bleeding through.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TashT,

I've made contact with the Rust-Oleum technical team to find out why this occurred. It seems the step in preparation "Use a primer when applying a light colour over a dark colour." and "To prevent tannin bleed, use Zinsser B-I-N or Cover Stain for best results." deals with this situation.

I've made contact with the Manager Dani at your local store and they are eager to assist you in solving this situation. Both paint department supervisors Eddy and Sam are also available to discuss how we can help.

Please let me know how you go and feel free to continue the discussion here as it would be great to see the finished results.

Mitchell

TashT
Getting Established

Thank you, I purchased the Cover Stain. I’ll hopefully get around to it this weekend.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@TashT,

It's great to hear you were able to get the Cover Stain. We look forward to seeing your results.

Please let me know if you need any assistance over the weekend.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects