Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard transformation - before and after

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Backyard transformation - before and after

Here are some  before and after shots of our backyard. Like always with owning a first home, we only then realised how long it takes to do things to the house like landscaping/gardening. The two things we struggled with was time and money, so all I could really do is just chip away at it, month to month.

We always wanted a merbau deck for the back Alfresco and planned to get it done as soon as we moved in, but then to find we needed that money elsewhere.

The first thing i started making was the raised garden bed with merbau seating and two feature screens either side. Thanks to Bunnings they had the Composite Eco Sleepers which looked great. But everything came to a holt as I injured my back at work.

Two years later we finally were able to get the deck in, then things started to fall into place, then came the grass and paving. 

1.png

2.png

73AE54CA-DF5C-40E5-81CF-5433057A9D75.jpeg

F983E61E-F920-4F60-9D2D-5F78232B3E05.jpeg

418E698F-4357-4275-B41B-26B6F2338A94.jpeg

3.png

7A7EBB9A-9773-4FD1-A0B7-228F57919F61.jpeg

49628E81-364E-400C-BEE9-DEC867AAEF0E.jpeg

4.png

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Re: Backyard transformation - before and after

Sorry for late reply @Yudi. The deck was quite large as you can see, I gave my mate a hand along with his worker. I may of saved a few $$ but all up to memory it may of been around 6-8k but I was quoted by one guy $12k so as I said I can’t remember. Normally people change $200 a square Meter so work your area out and that may help a little :smile:

Took around 3-4 days area was around 40sq2

apples2
Getting Established

Fantastic! Well done!

Navman1081
Finding My Feet

Amazing result. Did you have to do a dig out for the deck? it looks quite close to the ground??? How high is it off the surface of the ground?

Hi @Navman1081,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. Let me tag the amazing @LePallet so he is alerted to your question about the deck. I'm sure Rylie will be happy to answer as soon as he can.

Welcome to the community. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Fantastic! Looks great and very usable.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

01B0F8B0-3201-4615-B8EA-8CB910605FB4.jpeg

@Navman1081 Hey mate 

that’s a great question 

the one thing i wish we knew when building the house was we needed to dig down a certain depth for the deck to make it all fit. 
very lucky at the time there was no house next door and I managed to fit a mini diggger to dig down the required depth to allow for the deck framing. From memory it was around 350mm, once you add the decking, the Joyce and the beams plus little wedge stumps & a few stumps concreted in. The ground was so bloody hard but being compacted sand, I just had the hose running into the ground to soften it all up. Then it was a mission moving all the left over sand to the side block of land through the fence and down the retaining wall. 

vipulgoswami
Growing in Experience

wow, that looks amazing, would love to get some help of you

Hi @vipulgoswami.

Let me mention @LePallet so he is notified of your comment. If you had any particular questions for him about the project, then I'm sure he would be more than happy to assist you.

Mitchell

MrnMrsScott
Finding My Feet

Wow! You guys did a great job! I’m feeling inspired 

Welcome to the Workshop community @MrnMrsScott. We're excited to have you join us!

I trust you'll find loads of inspirational projects from our amazing community members posted here daily.

If you ever need a hand or have something to share with the community make sure to start a discussion and share with us.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects