Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Boundary fence post repair

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Boundary fence post repair

One of my boundary fence was leaning towards my neighbours property.

In order to prevent further damage to the fence, my neighbour and I decided to straighten the post and strengthen the base with concrete. After digging around the the base we found the the hardwood timber post was rotten at the base, so we decided to add a steel support  and attach the original post to it, we managed to get two of the worst posts done, the rest of the posts will probably need to be fixed in the future as they deteriorate. If you intend on getting a new timber, please don’t use hardwood post, I think cypress pine would last a bit longer.

Materials

6, bags of 20 kg each bag of quick set concrete, required for two posts

Steel post supports, one suppprt for each post. Fence post mender.

Screws to attach steel support to existing timber post. 8g x50.

Tools

Square based spade/shovel

Crow bar the break up soil and old concrete.

Saw to cut rotted post timber, I used a reciprocating saw with long blade.

impact screw driver and drill for attaching screws to steel and timber post.

Small hand shovel to clear out post hole.

Steps

Step 1

Before starting to dig post hole, install screws or  nails to two posts that are straight at each end for the leaning posts, 

Step 2

Using a ratchet strap or rope pull the existing leaning fence post  level. Make sure you have something to tie down to from the fence post to the ground or drive a timber stake to the ground as an anchor point, I used a free standing concrete block wall.

Step 3

Now start digging away the old concrete and dirt to suit the steel post depth, then  cut the rotten section of the post using a saw, when done and the hole is clear, install the the steel post attached to the timber post with outdoor screws.

Step 4

Prepare the hole for the quick set concrete, as per instructions on the quick set mixture.

Steel support 

JoeAzza_1-1711019871754.jpeg

Quick set concrete 

JoeAzza_2-1711019916067.jpeg

JoeAzza_3-1711019974434.jpeg

JoeAzza_4-1711020013901.jpeg

JoeAzza_5-1711020042430.jpeg

JoeAzza_6-1711020087763.jpegJoeAzza_7-1711020131945.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Boundary fence post repair

It looks like you've done a great job of breathing some new life into those aged posts, @JoeAzza⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠. The supports you've used look really solid.

Many thanks for sharing your projects and the steps you took.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @JoeAzza 

Nice work :smile: And I must admit leaning fences always frustrate me lol I feel the "need" to straighten them somehow.

I do have a question :smile:

When I put a windbreak in for my bees (I dont have them anymore sad to say) I was using quickset concrete and I watered the hole before hand but still the water just kept on disappearing (my yard is full of rubble I suspect so the water just seeped away fast). Your ground looks as dry as mine is, How did you keep the water in the hole and add the concrete so that it mixed reasonably?

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Dave-1 

I had no problem with water retaining long enough to pour and mix the quickset, I followed instructions to pre wet the hole prior to adding water.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects