Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building in alfresco with windows

MeMo
Finding My Feet

Building in alfresco with windows

I have a 4x5m alfresco that I’m wanting to build in with windows and glass sliding doors. I’m interested to find out;

- do I need to put framing between the window and the brickwork?

- if I do need framing between the window and bricks how thick does it need to be?

- what is the minimum distance between windows (ie. 2 windows right next to each other)?

- also what is the minimum distance between windows when one is above another?

(note: photo is for attention only and is not the actual setup I’m looking for)

659F38A5-482B-4DBE-930E-6AEB8031A522.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building in Alfresco with Windows

Hi @MeMo,

The first step will be to decide on what products you'll be using and then source the answers to your questions from the manufacturer. Given different manufacturers will have their own frame systems and door configurations, I don't think there's any one answer.

We deal with Hume timber alfresco door systems, and here are the specifications for spacing and frame widths. You can check out their installation in the video below.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Unfortunately I don’t know which products until I know the size openings I’m working with and for that I need to know if there needs to be any stud work. I would have thought this was more of a building code issue rather than a manufacturer specification type thing

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MeMo,

Products like the Hume alfresco door systems come with their own outer frame. The frame connects to your brickwork. You'd have a flashing between your brickwork and window frame, but there's no stipulation that you must put additional stud work. You'd only have additional stud work if the available window frame sizes don't fit perfectly between the brickwork. The only other time stud work would be involved is if you needed to support the roof.

The windows have their own frames; typically, they're connected to each other with hinges in a bi-fold system, or they'll run in tracks on a sliding system. If you need to use a combination of different systems, there's no minimum distance between the frames of those systems.

If you were to go off the measurements you've provided, and using the Hume system, that would be the five 770mm doors at 3931mm width and the six 820mm doors at 5003mm. You'd need to adjust the frame and remove 3mm to get the latter to fit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects